Sorta Newbie

Posted by: Nick Nash

Sorta Newbie - 01/05/14 06:16 PM

Hey gang...just a quick intro to me:

28 year old married radio DJ from West Virginia. No stranger to camping or the wilderness (I'm an Eagle Scout), but new to hiking/backpacking.

Looking to do some hiking and possible overnight trips sometime this year. I used to do a LOT of this in Boy Scouts, but adult life happened and I spend more time in a radio station than I do in my own house.

ANYWAY - I'm really no stranger to being in the wilderness, but I had some questions about etiquette in State Parks and that sort of thing.

On a multi-day hike...where does one decided to set up camp? Is there typically a formality here or do we just plop down and set up shop?

If it helps any, my wife and I are looking to hit the Dolly Sods Wilderness in WV sometime this year. Thanks for the help!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Sorta Newbie - 01/05/14 09:02 PM

Hi Nick, and welcome

Different regions have different regulations. IN general those of use who support the Leave No Trace philosophy suggest that you camp only in previously developed places...but there are usually plenty of those in the backcountry. Some parks and wilderness areas require you to stay in a specific campsite--and reserve that campsite in advance. Best check with the local rangers to get the full story.

And if you pack light, leave a light footprint, and it's legal, you can camp just about anywhere it is flat and there is some water more or less nearby. And when you leave, nobody will ever know that you even stopped there.

Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Sorta Newbie - 01/05/14 09:09 PM

Welcome aboard - you've chosen a great way to spend some leisure time. I've had a taste of Dolly Sods, and want to get back there sometime.

As far as where to camp, it's usually more a case of rules than etiquette. "Where" is up to the agency that manages the land. Most national forests allow you to camp anywhere (provided that you are at least X-hundred feet from water sources, trails, or roads); state forests, state parks, and national parks will all have their own similar rules, and many have established backcountry campsites you must use.

The problem is that, frequently, you have multiple managers: a state park is surrounded by a national forest, or a national park by a state forest, etc. Then you have to have a good idea where you are when you decide to call it a day.

Now, having said that, I once asked a national park ranger if there were any way a person could request to camp on an open rock face instead of the established camp, if one promised to follow leave-no-trace, and to cook using a stove. He sort of smiled and said, "Well, it's often easier to grant forgiveness than permission." It was an awfully pretty view.

The other etiquette is basically common manners. If you see someone else camped in a spot, you want to be far enough from them that noise you make won't disturb them (and then minimize the amount of noise you need to make.) Break camp quietly, if they're still asleep when you leave. Don't light a campfire if the wind will blow the smoke into their camp. That sort of thing.

I'm sure others will be along soon with additional information.

Happy hiking!