Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight

Posted by: Steadman

Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 10/06/13 11:05 AM

Has anyone else noticed that sleeping bags seem to weigh more now that the EN ratings are in force/used more?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 10/06/13 02:58 PM

Which confirms what I always suspected, that manufacturer ratings (particularly of lower-priced bags) are fictional. Exception--a few of the high-end bag manufacturers like Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends.

The EN13537 ratings aren't foolproof, but at least they are a bit more objective than manufacturer ratings. They also confirm that some of us need warmer bags, as witness the 9-10*F difference between the "comfort" and "lower limit" ratings.

Deciphering the EN13537 ratings.

Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 10/06/13 09:11 PM

Eyeing the REI Sub Kilo 15 that's on sale for my 10 year old girl, and wavering on it. Kinda think I'll get a better sale in the spring.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 10/06/13 09:34 PM

Hasn't REI discontinued the SubKilo? You might not want to wait too long!
Posted by: jimmyb

Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 10/06/13 10:48 PM

It is deeply discounted in the Outlet and listed as a special buy, I don't know if that means its discontinued but I suspect so. I looked at it as well recently. If that's your bag, good advise to snag it up while its on sale.

FYI I just picked up a Mountain light 15 at EMS and hit it on a 2 day sale. Glad I didn't hesitate. We will see how it preforms this fall. Would have bought one of the left over 2012's but they only had longs and women's. If interested you can get the EMS 2012 long or women's 15 at $209 for a day or two more with the extra $50 off sale going on. I liked the idea of the dry down tech. for the humid weather hear in the East.

jimmyb

Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 10/07/13 08:07 PM

OM, I just bought the girl's version for my oldest, and explained to she and my older boy that it was shared gear, vice someone's in particular.

THANK YOU very much for the advice. I wasn't sure if I should avoid based on EN ratings. I rather figure it's a 20ish degree bag.

jimmy, I saw the deal at EMS and almost bought it. Sorry I held off now.

We'll see how the fall develops. Dividends come in March...
Posted by: jimmyb

Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 10/07/13 10:17 PM

Yes Steadman, we just got our bags today. They look very nice. I will hopefully give them a test run in the yard this week.

I received an email from Kansas university on the processes and procedures involved in their sleeping bag testing. EMS informed me that is where their independent thermal testing is done.

KSU offers the EN 13537 testing or any custom variation. I wish I knew what variation if any EMS uses to test their bags. It was interesting reading at the least.

jimmyb
Posted by: TomD

Re: Sleeping Bags, EN ratings, and weight - 11/17/13 03:31 AM

The EN ratings are relative and some manufacturers use the lower limit in their ads, which is really deceptive. My old MacPac bag, rated at -5C, is spot on for me and I sleep cold. I've seen some absolutely laughable claims (NOT EN) for alleged 20F bags at Wal-Mart for $40. Seriously?

I trust the more well-known brands to be more accurate even if not EN. (MacPac is originally a NZ brand, the company was sold a few years ago and the bags are now made in China. My bag is a NZ made down bag from the days before all that happened.)