Lightweight tarp poles

Posted by: Baz

Lightweight tarp poles - 07/31/13 11:57 PM

Hi. Newb here. I hope someone can help me out. For my tarp/tent, since I don't use trekking poles, I would like to find or fabricate some light weight 53" poles. Could you suggest anything? Came across some carbon fiber components at Fibraplex.com but not sure if strength would be adequate. Much appreciate any help you could give.
Posted by: lori

Re: Lightweight tarp poles - 08/01/13 01:08 AM

If you have a Tarptent brand tarp tent, there are poles you can buy from them for the model you have.

If you need custom poles, go to questoutfitters.com and you can order pieces to make your own poles.
Posted by: Baz

Re: Lightweight tarp poles - 08/01/13 02:26 AM

Tent is a Mountain Laurel Duomid. But, they don't make specific poles for it. I'll take a look at Questoutfitters. Thanks!
Posted by: topshot

Re: Lightweight tarp poles - 08/02/13 09:55 PM

Quest or the ones from Fibraplex should be fine. I personally like trekking poles.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Lightweight tarp poles - 08/02/13 11:41 PM

Ruta Locura (a spinoff of Titanium Goat) makes custom carbon fiber tent poles which are stronger and less bendy than most. My experience with supplied tent poles, both aluminum and carbon fiber, is that most are rather flimsy compared to trekking poles. If I didn't use trekking poles, I'd certainly look at the Ruta Locura ones.