never backpacked before

Posted by: Zodiiak

never backpacked before - 07/29/13 07:11 PM

So I am as of recently trying to get into backpacking but I Have no idea where to begin. I know that I want camp out and stuff but I want to go to very scenic and beautiful places. Right now I live in Japan. I’ve gone hiking here a couple times. And I’m climbing Mt. Fuji on Thursday. So basically what are some good books to read to get started and what is the best equipment to buT? How do you find good trails to go to?
Thanks
Carlson
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: never backpacked before - 07/29/13 07:16 PM

The Colin Fletcher books are great: The Thousand Mile Summer, the Man Who Walked Through Time...and the Compleat Walker,

For more fun about hiking and having adventures on the trail, read Clarence King's Mountaineering in the SIerra Nevada, or Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods.

There are lots of ways to do this hobby. Part of the fun is figuring out which way works best for you.
Posted by: peacock

Re: never backpacked before - 08/11/13 02:56 AM

Ditto the book by Bryson. I enjoyed it immensely.

I'd suggest finding a group to hike with. Sounds like you're already in decent shape if you're hiking now - but can't stress enough the importance of training. Next time you go hiking carry a backpack with weight in it similar to what you'll be bringing - 30-50 pounds. Load it with canned goods or exercise weights.

Go camping at least one weekend before you venture too far away from the trailhead with the plan to bring everything with you that you will need. That is a big concept for new backpackers, the idea that you'll need to bring in *and* bring out every single need. For me beverages have always been the biggest issue!