best sleeping pad

Posted by: SuwanneeMan

best sleeping pad - 05/19/13 11:25 PM

Can anyone help me find the best sleeping pad to buy? I have had 3 back surgeries and my lumbar fused. I am looking for a sleeping pad that will be the most comfortable. I will only be using it for kayak camping, so light weight is not that important. I also live in Florida.
Thanks,
Dennis
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: best sleeping pad - 05/19/13 11:37 PM

Your best bet is to head to the local outfitters and try them all out. Don't overlook the new cots that Thermarest brought out, since the boat will carry it. I haven't seen them myself, but they may be worth looking at.

Also, have you considered a hammock? I haven't ever used one, and I don't have back problems, so I don't know how they would work for you, but you might check them out, just to see if they worked better than a pad on the ground.

My own personal favorite is the Q Core from Big Agnes (I like the SL, but the regular Q Core is also comfortable, and may come in a wider size, if that's a factor.)

Good luck.
Posted by: bpackengneer

Re: best sleeping pad - 05/20/13 08:26 AM

+1 on the Big Agnes QSL.

BackpackingEngineer
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: best sleeping pad - 05/20/13 02:51 PM

And we like the Neo Air a lot as well.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: best sleeping pad - 05/20/13 03:10 PM

I've also used the NeoAir - I like the All Season for general three season use (or 4-season use in the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana area.) I think NeoAirs have some wider options, too.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: best sleeping pad - 05/20/13 05:18 PM

With the NeoAir, people either love it or hate it. I tried one out and am definitely in the "hate" category. The horizontal baffles "buck me off" every time I get anywhere near the edge, and I couldn't find the "sweet spot" between having the mat blown up too hard and having my hip bone resting on the ground.

I personally prefer a pad with vertical baffles. If my current pad expires, I'll be looking at Exped, probably their UL7 Downmat since I am a cold sleeper.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Try out all the pads you can find in the store. Once you buy one, spend several nights on the floor at home with it to decide if it's really a keeper, whlle you can still return it.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: best sleeping pad - 05/21/13 03:02 PM

Look at the BA Q-core, the BA QSL, and the Exped Downmat 9.
Posted by: VanDan

Re: best sleeping pad - 05/31/13 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By finallyME
Look at the BA Q-core, the BA QSL, and the Exped Downmat 9.

Both great pads. Own both of them and they are pretty darn nice to sleep on.
Posted by: Outcasthiker

Re: best sleeping pad - 06/03/13 07:41 PM

Thermarest make good ones. Also suggest hammock sleeping. It's hard to beat.