Just started!!

Posted by: hdmike

Just started!! - 04/15/13 03:15 PM

I just got my TETON Hiker 3700 last week, I bought everything i need for a little 2 day hike and camping. I loaded it up today and it weighed in at 25lbs! I took it for a 6 mile hike at my local Mountain Bike trail where it is up and down and a darn good work out! I felt good as i hiked but I want to fine tune my pack adjustment. Is there a good youtube video to watch to adjust my pack to fit me better??
Thanks!!!!!!!
Posted by: GNPjason

Re: Just started!! - 04/15/13 06:41 PM

25 lbs is not bad. Main thing with your backpack is making sure you load it properly. I could explain it to you but you will get more out of a google search or possibly something someone else already posted on this forum. As far as fine tuning your backpack, every backpack is different and you just need to learn yours and how it fits you best. I am sure you could find a youtube video as well. Good luck and have fun on your trip.
Posted by: hdmike

Re: Just started!! - 04/15/13 08:11 PM

thanks gnpjason!!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Just started!! - 04/16/13 05:01 PM

While I'm not that fond of REI (Really Expensive [and heavy] Items) as a shopping source, they do have an excellent video on their website on how to adjust a backpack.

For ideas on lightening the load, check out the article on the home page of this site, left-hand column.
Posted by: BradW

Re: Just started!! - 04/17/13 01:48 PM

it was the early 70's the last time I donned a backpack. I probably didn't really know how to wear one properly back then. Of course external frame packs are completely different.

Anyway, in getting my current pack to fit right, I just started out by google'ing around. I found this youtube video seemed to backup everything else I was reading
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLCM_3RjuA

One thing I learned was that I was wearing the pack too low. Once I brought the waist belt up more on my body, everything felt much better.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Just started!! - 04/17/13 03:51 PM

The hip (not waist) belt should rest at the top of your iliac crest (pelvic bones). Of course, for those of us with too much internal padding, it may rest a little differently, but that's the ultimate goal.