Starting a trail maintenance job

Posted by: raeclimbs

Starting a trail maintenance job - 01/13/13 02:50 AM

Hey so I am starting a trail maintenance job soon and I have a few questions about layering. right now I have a few nice pieces, a mountain hardwear shell and the Atom LT. I am not going to be taking my MH shell with and I will use a patagonia torrent. However I was wondering what I should do for a mid layer? So I have the Atom LT and an R2. should i take the LT with... but I like it so much i don't want to ruin it doing trail maintenance. I was thinking about buying a patagonia nano puff... do you think that would be a good idea? If you have any advice let me know. I get some pro deals now and id like to take advantage of them while they last. Also I will be working up in montana... it gets cold at night

Thanks
Posted by: aimless

Re: Starting a trail maintenance job - 01/13/13 03:00 PM

This is not so much an answer to your question about a mid-layer as making an observation: your days (24 hours) will probably divide very distinctly between the time when you are doing trail work (rough, dirty, sweaty) and when you are not doing trail work.

When you're working you'll probably not be needing much extra warmth, because your internal engine will be revved up and burning fuel at a furious pace, but your clothes do need to stand up to some real dirt and abuse.

The requirement of layering for extra warmth will mostly be needed when you are off work, in which case, I wouldn't worry too much about ruining your stuff, unless you'll be bushwhacking in your spare time.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Starting a trail maintenance job - 01/13/13 09:53 PM

I would recommend some cheap, no frills utilitarian fleece that can be worn in layers when required. Thrift stores are your friend. It might be worthwhile to check with your supervisor similar contact and see what they recommend. I'll bet you will see a wide variety of conditions. Any chance you will see wild land fire duty? There are some very specific requirements for that work. What about foot gear? What we wear of this forum is probably not suitable for trail work.

I wish you the best of summers. My first outdoor job was trail work (Saguaro National Park) and it was fabulous!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Starting a trail maintenance job - 01/13/13 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By oldranger
I would recommend some cheap, no frills utilitarian fleece that can be worn in layers when required. Thrift stores are your friend.

Amen!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Starting a trail maintenance job - 01/16/13 09:53 AM

You only need a shell when it is raining. Otherwise, you want something that breathes and is very durable. I would look at army fatigues. Look for the nyco, or nylon/cotton ripstop. I would get at least 2 (2 pants and 2 shirts). They will take a beating. You would wear your long johns underneath, if it was that cold. Canvas clothing is also a good option. Look at brands like Carhart, or Dickies.