Newbie Food storage question

Posted by: zily

Newbie Food storage question - 12/26/12 12:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the backpacking scene, and am planning a sort of practice backpacking trip across 4 state parks in hill country texas (Pedernales, enchanted rock, colorado bend, Inks lake).

I think I've ironed out most of the details, but I'm kind of stumped now on my nightly food storage and the precautions I need to take with it.

It's in a state park in a designated primitive backpacking site. Do I need to cook my meals away from my tent and store my food stuffs and toothpaste hanging from a tree limb? Or can I jam everything I own into the vestibule and just shoo off opossums every once in a while? Or should I just ask the park rangers?

Thanks guys. I'm really excited to get out into the woods and check out some stars.

-daniel
Posted by: aimless

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 12/26/12 01:26 AM

You should be prepared to hang food if necessary, but asking the park rangers is an excellent idea, because they should know what the critter problems look like in their park and what precautions are advisable.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 12/26/12 10:37 AM

Welcome to the forum Daniel! In your area I bet the biggest problem would be raccoons. They are very clever, and will dig into your food. As previously mentioned hanging is always a good idea. I also like the idea of asking your local ranger. Enjoy and be safe!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 01/04/13 10:23 AM

I would ask the rangers first. But, when I hiked enchanted rock, I just kept the food in the tent with me. There aren't any big predators to worry about (well there are occasional cougars, and coyotes, along with lots of people).

Incidentally, for all those interested. If you plan a backpacking trip to Enchanted Rock with your brother in law, and then your wife schedules an ultrasound for your second child to happen during the trip, it is always better to cancel the trip than to hear about not going to the ultrasound for the rest of your life. Apparently "I already saw the first kid, why would the second look different" is not the right answer.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 01/04/13 04:36 PM

No, it definitely wasn't the right answer!
lol
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 01/04/13 08:50 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a good way to turn "your wife" into "your ex-wife."
Posted by: enthusiast

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 01/09/13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By finallyME

Incidentally, for all those interested. If you plan a backpacking trip to Enchanted Rock with your brother in law, and then your wife schedules an ultrasound for your second child to happen during the trip, it is always better to cancel the trip than to hear about not going to the ultrasound for the rest of your life. Apparently "I already saw the first kid, why would the second look different" is not the ght answer.

Lmao
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 01/11/13 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Yeah, that sounds like a good way to turn "your wife" into "your ex-wife."

Well, luckily we are still happily married. The child in question is now 10. I think it was that same year that she forgot our anniversary. So, we are even. Every time she brings it up, I remind her of the anniversary mistake. I was young and naive then. Of course, I don't think that has changed much, other than I am not young. Well, Jim probably has socks older than me. Now she is studying psychology. She gave me some test for her class. They were a bunch of questions on how I thought about her. She was suppose to answer them for herself, and then get someone else to answer them for her, and compare the results. Apparently, I answered a bunch wrong on that as well. I should have cheated and looked at her answers first.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Newbie Food storage question - 01/11/13 10:59 AM

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?" smile

I know what my wife says the answer is.