Greetings from upstate New York

Posted by: alrany187

Greetings from upstate New York - 11/14/12 08:51 AM

My name is Ellis and I also frequent the hammock and bushcraft forums. I recently got my daughter interested in the outdoors and we're planning to hike the Northville-Placid Trail this coming year.

I thought this forum would be an ideal venue to pick up some knowledge on hiking and improving my other skills. Hope to add something of value to the forum along the way.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/14/12 10:01 AM

Welcome. You'll learn a lot on here.

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/14/12 10:29 AM

Thank you. I am quite sure I will learn much.

Ellis
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/14/12 02:53 PM

And add much, as well, I hope!

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/14/12 03:37 PM

I certainly hope so.

Ellis
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/15/12 10:10 AM

I also frequent hammock and bushcraft forums. Welcome to this great site.
Posted by: DTape

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/15/12 07:55 PM

Welcome from another western NY'er. I am also on hammockforums, bushcraft and the adkforum. I am sure we have crossed paths around those areas as well. See you on the trail.
Posted by: JBrzysk

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/20/12 09:27 AM

What is your favorite outdoor spot in western NY?

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 11/20/12 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By JBrzysk
What is your favorite outdoor spot in western NY?

My favorite spot is Little Rock City state forest. That's where my daughter first went camping with me and she absolutely fell in love with location.
Posted by: Phil_H

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 12/27/12 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By alrany187
My name is Ellis and I also frequent the hammock and bushcraft forums. I recently got my daughter interested in the outdoors and we're planning to hike the Northville-Placid Trail this coming year.

I thought this forum would be an ideal venue to pick up some knowledge on hiking and improving my other skills. Hope to add something of value to the forum along the way.

Greetings. I'm in central NY, and also plan on hiking the NP Trail this summer. Should be a fun solo hike that I have been putting off for a few years. What time of year are you planning on hiking it?
Posted by: JPete

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 12/28/12 07:07 AM

I've been on the L-P a couple of times. One was probably early winter (very cold but no snow) and found it a delightful trail, quite a bit of variety, though I stayed on the L-P proper and did not go very high (I've always done Marcy from John's Brook -- the other side). But I did it once in early summer and found the bugs almost impossible, especially at the southern end. best, jcp
Posted by: DTape

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 12/28/12 07:28 AM

The NPT is a great hike, especially solo. It can be very wet in places due to the locals (beavers). My favorite section is along the Cold River. I will be hiking it again this summer. Maybe we will see each other on the trail.
Posted by: Phil_H

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 12/29/12 12:55 PM

My plan was for early summer and will have to deal with the bugs. I used to live in Maine working in remote areas, so bugs have been a part of my life that never seems to go away!
Posted by: Nimravus

Re: Greetings from upstate New York - 03/15/13 06:57 PM

Hello, I too am from upstate, ny. I plan on Backpacking the Adirondacks, not sure exactly where yet. Be careful in your adventure! And be sure to update all of us on how it went.