First Trip Advice

Posted by: Hawke

First Trip Advice - 06/14/12 08:39 AM

Hey all. I'm excited to be planning my first (EVAR!! shocked ) backpacking trip. I've got everything I need except....A place to go. lol So, I thought I'd ask here for advice.

I live in Denver, and am willing to drive a few (no more than 3?) hours to a decent trail, but closer is preferable. I don't want to do crazy miles, and really only want to spend one night out (I'm planning on leaving Sunday June 24th, come back Monday.) I'm ok with out-and-back or a loop, I think 15 miles total is probably my max.

I found this hike Twin Owls Loop , but I don't have a bear canister and am not willing to shell out for one at this point. I'm also nervous about the whole permitting process. How easy/hard is it? If I show up at the park station at 8 am that morning, what are my chances of being told I can't camp in the area anyway?

I also looked at doing the Goose Creek trail from the TH to Wigwam Park, overnighting, then coming back out (looks a bit long, maybe 19mi RT). I could go to the Shaft House (~5 mi one way?), but that's a bit shorter than I was hoping for.

Anyway, for all the Coloradoans here, advice/input is greatly appreciated.
Posted by: lori

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/14/12 09:08 AM

Well, you can always rent the canister. No need to own one. Either from REI, from the Bearikade folks by mail, or from the rangers when you pick up the permit (not sure about Colorado but here you can rent them in National Parks and in some other areas they are required). Heck, the Bare Boxer is only $40 to buy and you have the lightest and smallest can on the market - perfect size for a weekend trip.

The permitting process is not a big deal. Call the info line and talk to them about your chances - I'd talk to them about needing something easy for the first trip out too, and get suggestions from them for an overnight that's got permit spots open. Kill two birds with one stone - do research on the destinations available, get the permit.

Make your first one shorter - five miles one way sounds like a good compromise. If you haven't been dayhiking with the backpack full of gear yet and don't know what to expect, shorter is better.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/14/12 11:53 AM

If the fire is still going on, Rocky Mountain National Park may be quite smokey. It's not far south of the fire.

I live down in Pueblo. First I'd suggest getting a Topographical map for your area. REI is a good source. Then give the Forest Service a call and get recommendations. The Pikes Ranger District is very helpful. I'd start with this number: Phone (719) 636-1602. They will probably send you to some other local office.

Five miles is plenty for the first trip in Colorado. Your pack is likely to be a little heavy. The trails are steeper than they look on the map.

I'd just assume there is a fire ban. They are starting to pop up all over the state now.

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/15/12 10:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, Lori & Gershon. It's looking more and more like I'll be doing an out-and-back on Goose Creek Trail. Thanks for the info on permits, good stuff to keep in mind for the future.

As an aside, my BPW is about 10.5 lbs, so I'm not too worried about that part of it.

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/16/12 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By Hawke
Thanks for the replies, Lori & Gershon. It's looking more and more like I'll be doing an out-and-back on Goose Creek Trail. Thanks for the info on permits, good stuff to keep in mind for the future.

As an aside, my BPW is about 10.5 lbs, so I'm not too worried about that part of it.

Have a great time. Don't forget to take pictures. smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/16/12 11:57 AM

Note that there's now a state-wide fire ban in Colorado.

Have a great time!

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/16/12 07:44 PM

Yeah. Stupid forest fires. I'm only overnighting though, so not a big deal. Nobody is sure if esbit/alcohol stoves count as "fire." If I end up eating cold food, I'll survive. I've got plenty of extra "groceries" I carry around, no fear of starvation here! lol

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/16/12 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By Hawke
Yeah. Stupid forest fires. I'm only overnighting though, so not a big deal. Nobody is sure if esbit/alcohol stoves count as "fire." If I end up eating cold food, I'll survive. I've got plenty of extra "groceries" I carry around, no fear of starvation here! lol

I'm sure for Colorado. If it doesn't have a shut-off valve, it's not legal when there is a fire ban. Both alcohol and Esbit stoves are prohibited.

Re: First Trip Advice - 06/25/12 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info, Gershon. I guess I'm a lawbreaker, then. I did make sure to use an existing fire ring & never left it unattended. I'll know for next time!

The hike went well, I ended up going into Lost Creek Wilderness on the Goose Creek Trail. I think it ended up being about 5 miles each way. Good trail, lovely scenery. If it had been a tad cooler, it would have been close to perfect. I learned some things about my gear, which is always a good thing. The biggest thing I learned is that I'll be doing this again!

Thanks again for the help & advice.