Boot fitting question?

Posted by: Dave H

Boot fitting question? - 05/01/12 11:42 AM

In most cases my boots fit fine I can hike for miles comfortably. However when I go down a sustained steep path for quite some distance the tips of my toes begin to hurt. Does this mean my boots don't fit? If so what do I look for in a proper fitting? What is the solution.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Boot fitting question? - 05/01/12 12:22 PM

Probably not. Most people don't like long steep downhill slopes.

Trekking poles help me a lot. When the slope gets steep enough, I cup my hands on top of the poles and use them to slow my descent. Usually, I'll do 2 steps for each plant rather than 1 as I would on the level. My son likes to put both poles ahead of him.

If you are finding your feet are slipping out from under you on loose rock, try leaning forward slightly. This will put the center of gravity over the balls of your feet and create less slipping stress on each step. The higher your pack weight is, the easier this will be as you don't have to lean as much.

Some like to do slight S turns down hills.

Be sure your toenails are cut well, too.
Posted by: lori

Re: Boot fitting question? - 05/01/12 01:06 PM

You can tighten up the laces to alleviate it some. I got treksta trail shoes and find that I no longer have toe bang due to the shoe design.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Boot fitting question? - 05/01/12 09:14 PM

Here is a link for boot lacing techniques to help solve different problems.
Posted by: kbennett

Re: Boot fitting question? - 05/01/12 09:20 PM

I retie my shoes for long downhills. Makes a difference.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Boot fitting question? - 05/02/12 08:28 AM

Rather than the square knot, I just twist the laces around each other twice before running through the eyelets or hooks. Just the friction holds fine for me. But then I don't want the bottom laces floppy loose, If you know what I mean. If the boots fit comfortably and are large enough for you, then changing your lacing pattern could help a lot. My lace pattern is set up to relieve pressure on the tops of my high arches, leave the toe box a little loose, and to hold my ankle in place and not let my feet slide forward. I guess I need a picture....
Posted by: TomD

Re: Boot fitting question? - 05/03/12 02:20 AM

Your boots may be too big. This is common in ski or other plastic boots. I had the same problem-cost me two big toe nails that took months to grow back.Try using two socks-one thin liner sock and one heavy wool or synthetic sock such as Capilene (these are from Patagonia and are great, but the price is outrageous).