new to backpacking need some advice

Posted by: flagrl

new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 12:27 PM

I am going to get into backpacking very soon. I am looking into the things I will need for short trips I porbably wont be taking anything longer than a 3 day hike for a long time. but what would I need besides backpack, tent, sleeping bag, first aid kit, and gps and clothes? and any tips will be apperciated. I will be getting some books this week also
Posted by: topshot

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 01:04 PM

It was written for Scouters and Scouts, but my paper should be useful to any newbie wanting to start lightweight backpacking. If you're going alone, I'd take a little bit more than I recommend until you know how to use your gear in various conditions. Just remember that people pack their fears and fear is heavy. smile
Posted by: oldranger

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 01:56 PM

I have only skimmed Topshot's article, but it looks pretty good. I notice you place GPS as a top priority. The most important piece of navigation equipment you will need is a map and the ability to interpret it properly. GPS is not fool proof, and can give problems. Be sure you have the Ten Essentials covered - this applies to any hike, of any length. Especially, be sure you have the means to light a fire and the skill to do so; that you have a shelter and the skill to deploy it;that you include a first aid kit and the training and skill to use it.

Your knowledge and skills are far more important that the gear you will carry. Some of that can be acquired through reading and a bit of judicious experimentation and practice. If possible, find someone or a group with expertise, hang out with them, and learn.

Start with shorter trips and gradually extend; it makes sense to spend your first night literally in your backyard. I will still do that with a piece of new gear.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 02:57 PM

You've left out food and some way to cook it...

If you want, check out our website, which has a list of our equipment for a similar trip. Remember that we are backpacking the Sierra in California in summer, and we take different things if we go at different times or to different locations!
Posted by: TomD

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 07:15 PM

There are plenty of gear lists on various websites and in books on camping and hiking. What you will want to bring will vary by location and weather. The most important thing to understand, in my opinion, is why you need something, not what it is by brand, cost or weight.

Why do you need a GPS? If the answer is "so I don't get lost" you have made a big mistake already. As a beginner, you shouldn't be hiking anywhere where you could get lost. A GPS is not infallible and is no substitute for basic navigation skills or judgment about weather. A map of the area where you are hiking, a compass to orient that map, and the basic knowledge of how to use them are all you should need until you develop the skills for hiking in the back country.
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 07:52 PM

Get thee to the library post haste and read Colin Fletcher's book, The Complete Walker. Edition IV is the latest, but any of the editions will be very helpful to you. St. Colin has helped me wrap my brain around what I need to carry and why. Once you figure out kind of what you want, then you can start looking for the actual equipment, asking questions on here about features, etc.

But start with Mr. Fletcher.
Posted by: topshot

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 08:12 PM

A much shorter and more updated book to read would be the just released one from Andrew Skurka. He actually wanted to write an update to Fletcher's book. It's gotten good reviews.
Posted by: flagrl

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 08:17 PM

ok thank you guys I will look at both books and take have pulled up the website I appreciate all the advice
and I am going to get maps and hold off on GPS probably cause I will be staying on or real close to the trails to start with
Posted by: Glenn

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 08:48 PM

I'll second that - at least for understanding the spirit and pleasure that backpacking can bring you. TCW also does a good job explaining the principles behind gear selection; just keep in mind that most of the examples illustrating it assume trips in the western mountains and deserts.

I'd also recommend Andrew Skurka's new book, if you're interested in keeping things as light as possible. It's a good read, and dead accurate, just not as spirited as TCW.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/11/12 08:49 PM

It would help us recommend specific combinations of gear if we knew where you will be walking, and what season(s).
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: new to backpacking need some advice - 03/12/12 02:33 PM

Go to the home page of this site and read the articles listed in the left-hand column.

It really would help to know where and when you plan to backpack! The gear lists in the articles shown above were for the Cascade Range in the Pacific Northwest, but you'll need to adjust for the conditions where you'll be going.