Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days

Posted by: awesomeame

Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/09/12 05:45 PM

So as per my other thread, I'm going backpacking with the gf for the first time. Hopefully the weather will be good. But if it turns out we're stuck in the tent because of rain, what does everyone do to keep busy? Besides "gettin' BUSY," haha smile

I was thinking some cards like UNO, but might be nice to have some other stuff along as well.

Matt
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/09/12 08:37 PM

A deck of cards is usually pretty versatile. An electronic book reader might also be nice (I'm on the verge of hauling my Nook along one of these days.)

One thought: if you want her to enjoy her trip, might it be better to postpone the trip if the forecast is for bad weather? Camping in the rain is definitely an acquired taste.

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/09/12 08:52 PM

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of going out in the rain either, and we'll postpone if the forecast is poor. There's just the chance of getting caught out there. I always say there's a big difference between going out in the rain, and getting caught in the rain smile

Matt
Posted by: Dyingjohnnie

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/09/12 09:02 PM

how about.... BATTLESHOTS!

hehe. or atleast a flask and some cards.

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/10/12 08:19 AM

Battleshots...awesome!!!! I'll have to remember that for another time. Might be a bit bulky haha

Matt
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/10/12 06:46 PM

I've told my brother to bring a small book and/or an mp3 player with earphones when we're out week after next. There's a lot of time between sundown and his normal bedtime, and to be honest his incessant talking gets to me after a full day of it. I think I'm going to make evening time a quiet time so I can have some peace!

I also take a deck of cards as a matter of course, but we have yet to use them and I'm probably leaving them home next time. (Of course, that means I'll wish I'd brought them.)
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/10/12 08:45 PM

Books on tape on an I-pod shuffle.

However, you will be the hero of the day if you actually TALK with your GF if you are stuck in the rain. And you will be double hero if you get out of the tent and make her some hot coca. Seriously, whenever I am stuck in the rain I really crave hot cocoa.
Posted by: HikerChick

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/11/12 05:16 PM

Take a book you can read to each other and discuss. A guide book of the area you're exploring would be good. Practice map & compass skills. You're packing booze...play cards or quarters for shots!
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/11/12 06:26 PM

Battleshots, laugh I need a larger tent for that! ...so the idea is that if you sink his/her battleship, he/she has to drink the shots? I donno...I might be a little too old to come home and say "it had to be a great trip 'cause I can't remember much about it".

I would say bring a book, a deck of cards, and something you can't drink too much of too fast (so it lasts). For me that is Scotch. Otherwise, and I'm probably nuts, but I tend to put on my rain gear and go anyway depending upon what is ahead. Anything on trail...I'm going (unless there is threat of lightning).

I think the guidebook is a great idea. I wish the flora/fauna, hiking, and climbing guidebooks were available on the kindle. THAT would be sweet! Those things are heavy to haul around separately.
Posted by: Dyingjohnnie

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/11/12 08:42 PM

Always scotch.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/11/12 11:21 PM

I'm sorry - Leave the #@**^%booze at home. Way too many people get into serious trouble (as in dead) by drinking while backpacking. Even if you are not serious, the cocept in nothing to joke about.

I suppose this is just my thing, but I am absolutely sincere.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/12/12 12:14 AM

just an FYI--YMMV--but I work in the wine business, and we have wine every night with dinner at home. On the trail, the only time I take any liquor is on a very short hike (don't want to carry it) and never drink much. Because drinking alcohol at altitude is a whole 'nother story.

And it often doesn't end well.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/12/12 06:36 AM

I tried taking some wine ocne, many years ago, but somehow, for me, alcohol just doesn't "fit" in the backcountry. I've been with others who enjoy it, and they invariably used moderation - some wine with dinner, or perhaps a shot of something stronger in the evening coffee or cocoa, but never much more than that. For them, it did "fit."

And, I've deliberately hiked an extra mile or two when I passed some young college guys, two carrying a case of beer each, and two more toting a cooler full of ice. I had already passed their two buddies, who had set up a large tent and were in the process of dragging logs in for the fire. Did I mention that this was around 11am? (And yes, when I encountered a ranger later that day, I told him about it.)
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/12/12 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By skcreidc

I think the guidebook is a great idea. I wish the flora/fauna, hiking, and climbing guidebooks were available on the kindle. THAT would be sweet! Those things are heavy to haul around separately.

Ooh, haven't thought about this. Just got a kindle.

And...just found out that Skurka's book is available for kindle. Perfect.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Games/ideas to keep busy for rainy days - 03/12/12 01:59 PM

Quote:
"But if it turns out we're stuck in the tent because of rain, ..."

I had thought someone else would pipe up with this by now --- and not to be judgmental about different options here (!), but how about just continuing to hike? Rain won't make you melt. Perhaps my attitude is based on living in the rainy PNW, but just find a sustainable pace that keeps you warm enough, tune gear appropriately, and truck on. If you must break for any length of time during the day (extended lunch perhaps), put up a tarp or your tent to do so. Et voila.

The times that I find time on my hands is in late fall, winter, early spring trips where there just isn't that much daylight. Apart from relatively clear sky and fullish moon nights, I'm not inclined to night hike as a regular thing, so indeed having some eBooks on my smartphone is helpful.