REI tent recommendation...

Posted by: Chad from WV

REI tent recommendation... - 12/16/11 02:33 PM

Wanting to take advantage of the 30% off one REI brand product AND the $100 gift card I got as an early Christmas present, I was looking at a new tent. Trying to stick to a tight budget but still get something of decent quality, I was looking at the REI Camp Dome 2 or the REI Passage 2. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input on either of these tents.

http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent

Thanks!
Posted by: aimless

Re: REI tent recommendation... - 12/16/11 03:58 PM

Last year I bought an REI 2-person Camp Dome tent. The choice was dictated by the need to replace a much heavier 1984-model REI dome tent that my wife loved. The Camp Dome was the most similar tent to that older tent, so that pleased her. This was after looking at some other 2-person tents that she rejected.

We've only used it twice. My take on it is that it is a very rudimentary tent, but adequate. Having two side doors is a plus. The rain fly arrangement doesn't appear as if it would be reliable in long-term rain, but seems ok for short rain episodes. I haven't uncovered any glaring defects in it. It is defintely better than a department store cheap-o tent. If you only have $80 to spend, you could do MUCH worse. Just don't expect a Taj Mahal.

The Passage looks to me to be essentially the same tent body, but with a rain fly that provides more coverage. But, I can't vouch for that, as I've only glanced at the photo on the REI web site.
Posted by: DoobyDoobyDoo

Re: REI tent recommendation... - 12/19/11 12:35 PM

I just purchased the REI passage 2 tent. I have used it twice - and think it is the bees-knees. Albeit I am relatively new(last few years and limited excursions) camper. I have yet to take it ona multi day hike but intend to do that over the MLK day weekend.

It is a pretty small tent - as far as interior goes - I am about 5'10 - 180 lbs and slept in it by myself - it will be pretty snug with two people my size - not uncomfortably so, but snug. It does have two doors, so thats awesome. The rainfly does provide a nice sized vestibule area to store stuff. I easily fit my golite 70L pack outside.

I purchased it with the included footprint. Color coded, easy to set up. Took me about 5-10 minutes to get it completely set up myself on the second attempt. Probably will be quicker as I get more experience with it.

I didnt use it in the rain either time, so I can really speak to its performance there, all of the reviews I have read however indicate that it will perform well.

The vent mechanism at the top was reallllllly neat. Seems to be well constructed and lived up to my expectations(though they may be a little limited).

Let me know if you have any other specific questions and I will attempt to answer them.

Re: REI tent recommendation... - 12/19/11 12:46 PM

No, that was really helpful. From what I have been reading, it looks like the Passage 2 is the way to go for me at the moment. Hopefully once I really get into the swing of things and done with school this summer I can swing a really nice ultralite setup but for now I think this one will be more than suitable. THanks again.

Re: REI tent recommendation... - 12/19/11 05:27 PM

Thanks again for all the help. I went ahead and ordered the Passage 2 and the footprint for it as well. I like the idea of using the rainfly and footprint with the poles as an alternative to packing the entire tent during the summer and from what I have been reading, the Passage seems to be the higher regarded of tents I was looking at. It should be here Wednesday so'll I'll have a good look at it then. Thanks again everyone.