old backpack

Posted by: kevbo610

old backpack - 11/27/11 11:44 PM

i have a ? bout a backpack i just aquired. anyone wanna try to answer my ?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: old backpack - 11/28/11 10:51 AM

Why don't you ask your questions? That's a better way to get some answers!
Posted by: aimless

Re: old backpack - 11/28/11 11:31 AM

You have an old backpack. We have lots of old backpackers. It is a match made in heaven. grin
Posted by: oldranger

Re: old backpack - 11/28/11 12:00 PM

My old backpack is better than your old backpack.......
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: old backpack - 12/01/11 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By kevbo610
i have a ? bout a backpack i just aquired. anyone wanna try to answer my ?

I don't have ESP, so I'm out of this one.

Probably more economical to buy a new one than try to fix the old one, though. Besides, the newer ones have some really cool features. (Just a stab in the dark...)
Posted by: lori

Re: old backpack - 12/01/11 05:36 PM

Old backpacks are like old friends, only less talkative and forgetful. Plus most of my old friends smell better...

What was the question again?

Re: old backpack - 12/01/11 07:35 PM

sorry out that. i got an old jansport external frame-d3 i think. zippers good, all straps are on it, and it has" aluminum hip bars. i loaded it up and hiked around the house here(about 40 lbs), felt real lgood. jji have never used an external frame.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: old backpack - 12/01/11 08:33 PM

If it feels good, use it. This is not rocket science.

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By oldranger
If it feels good, use it. This is not rocket science.
i dont know anything bout rocket science-- but i can make a really good meat-loaf
Posted by: Glenn

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 10:32 AM

"I can make a good meat loaf"

The rocket scientists as NASA couldn't - have you ever seen or tasted the "astronaut food" from the 60's? (I live near the Air Force Museum, and they have a really good display.) smile

Of course, I think the space program technology may have been used to creat the freeze-dried food industry many of us support as we hike?
Posted by: Gershon

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn
"I can make a good meat loaf"

The rocket scientists as NASA couldn't - have you ever seen or tasted the "astronaut food" from the 60's? (I live near the Air Force Museum, and they have a really good display.) smile

Of course, I think the space program technology may have been used to creat the freeze-dried food industry many of us support as we hike?

I had Tang in the 60's

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 11:02 AM

Kevbo, I think your question is did you buy a good pack. Jansport has a lot of fans in old reviews. We tell people to buy used gear until they find out if they like backpacking. I feel you made a good choice.

Now load that thing up and go for a hike and start having fun.

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 04:38 PM

I had forgotten about Tang. I used to like eating the little crystals that didn't quite dissolve, and the little white foamy scum it left on top. But at least it had a horrid flavor! (Great for stocking the home fallout shelters that were all the rage back in the 60's - the perfect accompaniment to the C-rations.)

Do they still make it?

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 06:21 PM

I think they still make Tang. Remember how it used to absorb moisture and get all hard in the bottle?

There were fizzies that came with peanut butter. I forget which brand.
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 06:45 PM

My husband and I love Tang - still buy it, still drink it and neither of us were born when it was invented. I put so much in it is sickly sweet (husband shudders) but tastee to me.

grin
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 06:56 PM

I took my old Coleman Peak 1 external frame backpack pack and took the old sack off and replaced it with some feed sacks. You can see some pics of it here, in this thread.

Admittedly, the material I used is pretty hobo, you can probably find something off the shelf that's better than I used, but the design has some real benefits, and I didn't have to alter the original sack or the frame to do the mods so nothing was lost in trying.

The pros are:
  • Adjustable storage space. (Both more and less than the stock sack)
  • Lighter weight. (You could lose as much as a pound)
  • When packed, the sack is compressed and shifts around less.
  • The sack is vertically adjustable on the frame.
  • The load is better distributed and easier to carry.

The cons are:
  • All those straps that hold and compress the sack take a bit of fiddling.
  • It's a top loader design, so you have to use a lot of ditty bags to keep your stuff organized.

Any way, I think those old frames may have more life in them yet. Just strap a UL sack on them and they'll feel brand new! smile

Re: old backpack - 12/02/11 07:02 PM

It was probably made before you were born, too - as I recall, the stuff had a near-infinite shelf life! smile