Getting back into Backpacking

Posted by: bperboy

Getting back into Backpacking - 11/24/11 05:38 PM

Folks,

I'm new to the forum, so take it easy! I've got several years of backpacking experience in the Midwest through Boy Scouts, but nothing too extreme, except for Philmont once about five years ago. Since then, no outdoor adventures.

I will be living in New Hampshire in a few months and was wondering if I could get any suggestions for easing back into backpacking. Also, day hikes and such would be good too to get started.

Thanks,
bperboy
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Getting back into Backpacking - 11/24/11 05:53 PM

Have you read the articles in the left hand column on the home page of this site? That would be a good place to start for a review/new ideas on backpacking and gear.

There are a number of trail guidebooks listed here.

Hopefully some New Englanders on this forum will give you some specific recommendations!
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Getting back into Backpacking - 11/24/11 10:49 PM

I guess we'd need a little more information about "easing you back in." For example, do you still have your gear? If so, you won't need much help in that area, at least for now. Are you looking for places to go?

Welcome to the forums. We're glad to help; we just need to narrow it down a bit.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Getting back into Backpacking - 11/25/11 12:37 AM

You're in a good part of the country, so that's a start. I'd check to see if there are any local outdoors stores that could recommend some easy local hikes---day hikes, but with an eye to a campsite for a trip later on.

And I'd look for local hiking groups as well.

Nothing beats local knowledge!
Posted by: TomD

Re: Getting back into Backpacking - 11/25/11 01:50 AM

Check out a site called Views from the Top, a NE site. Not sure if it is open to new members at the moment, but it has pretty much everything you will want to know about hiking in the NE. Even as a guest, you should be able to read all the posts.