need bag help

Posted by: azdesertrat

need bag help - 11/06/11 11:06 PM

im going on a long trip in dec and expecting some light snow and temps down into the 20's maby even teens and i need a bag only problom is im unemployed so iv got to keep it under a hundred bucks. ive looked on ebay but i dont know what brands are good and witch are junk, so any info would be gratly apreciated
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: need bag help - 11/06/11 11:07 PM

Why not rent one? IT would be under $100, and would keep you warm. Those seem to be the most important criteria of all!
Posted by: lori

Re: need bag help - 11/07/11 10:50 AM

For a long trip maybe not so inexpensive to rent.

I would look in forums like this one or backpackinglight.com for used but good bags, or consider the campmor brand 0 degree bag - probably not really a 0 degree, as the 20 degree bag is more like a 30 degree in practice, but it would be warm enough for the temp range quoted.
Posted by: azdesertrat

Re: need bag help - 11/07/11 03:30 PM

yea i looked at renting and as lori said for the length of time im going for renting is not so inexpensive, and see'n as i got about a month to watch for deals i could use some recomendations on brands to keep an eye out for though
Posted by: Glenn

Re: need bag help - 11/07/11 03:41 PM

I doubt you'll find many used Western Mountaineering bags for that price, but if you do, grab it!

Decent brands, other than Campmor, would include Kelty, Sierra Designs, and Marmot. I've also heard good things about a company called ALPS Mountaineering, but have no real knowledge about their stuff.
Posted by: squark

Re: need bag help - 11/07/11 03:48 PM

If you or a friend have an REI membership, a visit to their monthly garage sale might turn something up. I got an REI Mojave 10 for $75.
Posted by: TomD

Re: need bag help - 11/07/11 04:04 PM

I would look for a used TNF or maybe Sierra Designs synthetic bag. Look on Craigslist. Prices tend to be better than eBay. Not everyone on Craigslist will be willing to ship to you,but some will. A free program called Craigslist Reader will scan any city you want. I'm using it to look for a bag right now.

I would stay away from a brand I don't recognize. Look through the sponsors ads and see what they are selling. STP has an inexpensive Marmot bag for sale-
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sleeping-bags~d~208/?page=1