Hi-Tech "T" shirt

Posted by: Sedonaman

Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/10/11 10:46 AM

Imagine a long-sleeve T-shirt made of a modern wicking fabric, not as warm as polypro but not a thin fabric either. Something to create a light layer that is almost polypro, the thickness of a T-shirt, really. The characteristics I'm interested in are ultralight and ability to compact as small as possible, and a modern wicking fabric. It seems easy to find every characteristic I'm describing except compactability. Does anyone have a favorite shirt that fits this description? Thanks.
Posted by: sjohnny

Re: Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/10/11 11:35 AM

I don't know how compact you're wanting but I've become a pretty big fan of Under Armour. The more I wear it the more I like it.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/10/11 11:42 AM

Take a look at Patagonia's Capilene 1 and 2 base layers. Pricey but often on sale. Under Armor is another popular brand. There are lots of other polyester wicking shirts around. Check the athletic (not sporting goods) departments at places like Target for less pricey versions. I don't think anyone wears polypro any more! Most polyester base layers are treated to resist odor and come in a variety of weights.

Lots of folks prefer lightweight merino wool. For one thing, it produces less armpit odor (more of a problem with men than women) than synthetics. Icebreaker seems to be an especially popular brand. Used as a shirt, it has a tendency to wear out sooner. Unfortunately Patagonia has discontinued their Merino series, a merino wool-nylon blend, lighter and longer-wearing than all merino wool. I recently got a Merino 1 long-sleeve crew neck on closeout. It's really nice (except for the ghastly green color) and very light (men's small is 4.0 oz.). but I haven't worn it in the field yet. A Google Shopping search may come up with some in your size.
Posted by: sjohnny

Re: Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/10/11 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Take a look at Patagonia's Capilene 1 and 2 base layers. Pricey but often on sale.

I've been wanting to try the Capilene but I haven't picked any up yet. All the Under Armour I have came from the Bargain Cave at Cabelas. I paid $8 for a long sleeve heat gear shirt and $12 for a cold gear shirt.
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/10/11 12:30 PM

Go look at running tops.
Capilène silk weight is very nice to wear.
There may be "generic" products cheaper and efficient too.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/10/11 12:37 PM

I have no experience with this but a few people on BPL really seemed to like this shirt:
http://www.trisports.com/craft-konatritop.html

It's also got 50 UPF protection.
Posted by: Sedonaman

Re: Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/10/11 04:29 PM

Thanks everybody,
I never thought of under armor, and my girlfriend wears their stuff all the time! I'll investigate that.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hi-Tech "T" shirt - 06/13/11 05:36 PM

Go to a running store. Or even a cheap sports store like Big 5, Sports Authority, or Academy Sports.

By the way OM, I wear polypro every so often. Uncle Sam gave it to me free, and I haven't replaced it yet.