Buying new pack

Posted by: Heather-ak

Buying new pack - 06/09/11 08:27 PM

So my current backpack is 4lbs 8oz (and at least 25 years old.)

So I'm thinking it's time for a new pack. I'm heading into populated lands (that have a REI) and figured to pick up a pack. I was looking at the following:

REI Flash 50, Women's - 2lbs. 10oz.
GoLite Quest Pack (62L), Women's - 2lbs. 12oz.
GoLite Jam Pack (50L), - 1 lb. 15 oz.
Osprey Exos 46 Pack - 2lbs. 5 oz.

The REI has the Flash pack in stock. I can afford to buy one and ship it to REI. ONE - so what of the four left should I order? My weights are usu. 30-35 (full - with water.) I like all the wizzy wigs the Exos has and that is kinda the one I'm leaning towards. I usu. have a bear canister too - and I'm not sure where that would go on any of these =(

Thoughts?
Posted by: topshot

Re: Buying new pack - 06/09/11 09:32 PM

Def not the Jam (unmodded) with that much weight. You need some kind of frame, not just a foam backpad. It could handle a burrito style (I removed the backpad from my Pinnacle & use a shortened blue CCF pad this way since I have normally had 32 lbs fully loaded), but you might be tight on space anyway depending on what canister you have.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Buying new pack - 06/09/11 10:15 PM

I'm thinking you're carrying a bit too much weight for the Exos, too. However, you might try one of the Atmos series pack. The suspension is very similar to the Exos, but the suspension is a bit sturdier and should handle that weight. If you like the Osprey line (and there's a lot to like), you might also want to look at the Kestrel series before you make a decision. I used a Kestrel for a while and really liked it - as does the buddy it went to. I'm now using a Deuter ACT Zero (last year's 60+10; very similar to this year's 50+15 - and there's also a slightly smaller, women-specific model in the ACT Zero line.) The Deuter's suspension is a bit sturdier yet, but the feature that sold me on it is the ability to adjust the point at which the load lifter attaches to the shoulder strap - this lets you take all the weight off your shoulders if you choose. (With the Kestrel, the best I could do was about 90% because of the fixed attachment point.)

Better add about 2 hours to your intended time budget at REI! smile

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 12:31 AM

Hrm none of the lighter packs can take that load, maybe I'm not ready for a new pack. =(

My current bag is 4lbs 8oz,but I don't see any backpacks that can comfortably handle the 30-35 lbs of weight.

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 08:13 AM

I've only loaded my Deuter to about 30 pounds, but it carried it just fine. Also, on Backcountry Gear's website, it lists a 45 pound capacity for the ACT Zero 45+15SL. It's also about a pound a quarter lighter than your present pack.

I forgot to mention the Deuter ACT Lite series - same suspension as the ACT Zero, but with some additional features like a separate sleeping bag compartment with external access. Not quite as light, but still capable of 35 - 45 pounds, depending on the model you choose.

(In fairness, Deuter no longer lists carrying capacity on its website, so BCG may be estimating this based on last year's manufacturer specs, which did include that information.)

I've loaded a Kestrel 58 to 33 pounds and it carried OK (consistent with the Osprey website estimates), though not as well as the Deuter.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 09:25 AM

I used a men's Quest on the JMT, southbound a couple of years ago. It weighs just under three pounds and handles loads up to 35 lb as comfortably as any pack I have had. After my resupply at Muir Trail Ranch, I was near 35 lb. and it handled the weight a lot better than did I. I don't have any experience with, or comments on, on the woman's Quest though. I think it is a pack you might want to at least consider.
Posted by: ringtail

Six Moon Designs - 06/10/11 09:32 AM

The Six Moon Designs Starlite is still my "go to" pack. I have never used it with a canister, but do not think it would be a problem.

Be sure and get the hoop stays. 28 oz. with the stays.

http://sixmoondesigns.com/packs.html?pag...;category_id=11
Posted by: sjohnny

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn
I've only loaded my Deuter to about 30 pounds, but it carried it just fine. Also, on Backcountry Gear's website, it lists a 45 pound capacity for the ACT Zero 45+15SL. It's also about a pound a quarter lighter than your present pack.

I've loaded the ACT Zero 60+10 to 40 and it carried great. I've also loaded the Osprey Atmos 50 to about 40 pounds and it was also fine. Both seemed like they could probably take a little more weight.

Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 12:40 PM

Granite Gear Nimbus packs can carry that much weight comfortably; they're a little heavier than the ones you are looking at, but IMO worth the extra weight if you're carrying a lot.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 02:33 PM

The ULA-Equipment Catalyst will carry 35-40 lbs. It's 3.0 lbs. It can be gotten with a strap configuration designed for women. ULA is the one of the few lighweight pack manufacturers to note that females are built a bit differently than males!

My Six Moon Designs Comet (discontinued smaller version of their Starlight) will handle up to 35 lbs. At least the time I did it, my back, shoulders and hips were fine, although my knees and feet were screaming. It does hold a Bearikade Weekender sideways, just barely. The Starlight is bigger (weighs about 2 lbs.) so should hold the big size Bear Vault or Bearikade. Definitely get the stays/hoop (I think they just switched to a hoop) and use a pad (even if a partially inflated air pad) in the back. I wouldn't be able to use a Starlight because it's too big for my load (the smaller Comet is almost too big--I never use the expansion collar).

Whether any of these will fit you is another issue, and an important one for you! Get the pack that is comfortable for you while carrying your load. That's far more important than the weight!

Assuming your current pack fits and comfortably carries your load, have you looked to see what you could trim off your current pack to save weight? Most "standard manufacturer" pads have a lot of gewgaws that aren't needed. A bit of butchery never hurt and might save a pound or even more!

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 02:40 PM

Anyone use the REI Flash series? I can't find a max recommended weight carry - but looking at the reviews sounds like it can handle my weights (30-35 lbs.) They have it in stock for me to try on with all my stuff. =)
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 04:07 PM

I think I have the same pack you're replacing, so I'm interested to find out what you end up with, and how you like it.

I think I'll start looking at some of those suggested, you never know, I might win a lotto or run into some other kind of windfall smile

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 05:14 PM

My current is a Coleman Peak1 (youth model?). Plastic external frame, and very small bag - love it, because I can only take what fits! However, it is one of my heavier items.

My lotto / windfall item right now (subject to change) is the ZPack Hexamid Twin Tent =) My husband was like a $100 a saved pound (vs. current)?! hurumph wink
Posted by: lori

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
Anyone use the REI Flash series? I can't find a max recommended weight carry - but looking at the reviews sounds like it can handle my weights (30-35 lbs.) They have it in stock for me to try on with all my stuff. =)

I rejected the Flash because I have the daypack version, and watch people suffer with it when they load it with gear. I don't think the suspension matches the volume of the pack - way too easy to overload it.

I'd look at the ULA packs, and possibly Granite Gear - I have a Nimbus Ozone and use it for heavy trips, up to 40 lbs, comfortably. I would take it if I needed the largest bear canister. The Nimbus series are adjustable and the belt/harness are swappable, so they work well for folks who need a little customization.
Posted by: squark

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 07:09 PM

I tried on a Granite Gear Escape 40 and found it very comfortable carrying 30lbs. It weighs 3 lbs and fit whichever bear can the store keeps in stock (probably the garcia?) with some wiggle room. I'm still on the fence about whether I can justify a new pack at all though, when my old one is in good shape (but nearly 5 lbs!).
Posted by: Sedonaman

Re: Buying new pack - 06/10/11 08:26 PM

I replaced my Flash with an Osprey Atmos which I prefer, but the REI was good. I just bought a Flash 30 for dayhikes and I like it very well for those loads. Just remember that the light packs are most appropriate for light loads, so keep your packweight down, whatever you buy.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Buying new pack - 06/11/11 10:08 AM

I bought the REI Flash, took it home and loaded it. It was not comfortable so I took it back.

Last year I bought a GoLite Quest. I used it on the Sierra High Route (35 days). It comfortably carries 25-30 pounds, tolerably carries 30-35 pounds, and in a pinch (for a few days) I carried 40 pounds. I love the pack. It has a heavy-duty suspension for the total pack weight and a good capacity (11 days with bear cannister capacity). My only complaint is that it probably will not last too long due to my doing a lot of off-trail travel. It's durability is similar to the Granite Gear Virga. The shoulder strap padding is on the thin side - but you are not supposed to put a lot of weight on shoulders anyway.

Choose the pack based on fit. For me, the Quest was really comfortable from the get-go. For some odd reason, I cannot tolerate Gregory packs- my back is shaped wrong. No amount of weight savings is worth an ill fitting pack. And no amount of detailed product specs can substitute for trying out the pack with your gear inside.
Posted by: Slowfoot

Re: Buying new pack - 06/11/11 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I bought the REI Flash, took it home and loaded it. It was not comfortable so I took it back.

I did exactly the same thing. It really dug into my lower back. I agree that if you're carrying 35 pounds, the Flash may not work even if it fits you. The Deuter ACT Zero 45+10 is nice, except that the hip belt was too wide for me. The Granite Gear packs with adjustable torsos fit me well, and some are rated for up to 40 pounds or more.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Buying new pack - 06/11/11 08:23 PM

Heather
so how big is your current bag and how big are the other bags? Are the newer lighter ones also smaller? Are you ready for smaller or do you just want lighter? Packing small is a thing of its own that many people consider to be a part of backpacking completely separate from being light. Ok everybody knows I have the most expensive pack, big and light and I don't think theres anything wrong big big as long as its light and carries the load. Also for 35 pounds you need a frame of some kind against your back - frankly for your trip to the sierras you might find, as did thousands during the 70s and 80s, that a cheap external frame back with sleeping bag slung under is an excellent way to go carrying a lot of food for long trips, or for those who carried a cast iron frying pan and a gold shovel...
Jim smile
Posted by: lv2fsh

Re: Buying new pack - 06/12/11 12:23 AM

As a guy I am eminantly UN-qualified to advise a women on what pack to buy. Kind of like clothes shopping with the wife. I just hold something up and she either likes it or doesn't. Haven't a clue why. That said, I bought a mens Flash and only used it once but I liked it and the fact it weighed a couple lbs less than my old coleman. I know I had at least 40 lbs. in it.

Re: Buying new pack - 06/12/11 01:06 PM

I spent some time looking at packs last night online. The Flash does seem to be a nice pack, but those straps look a bit thin for carrying over 30lbs. They're about the same as those on my Peak 1 pack (Heather has one of those too) and for me, that's the biggest complaint I have with that pack. The biggest problem I have with that pack is that it's not quite big enough.

I can jam my gear and two days of food in it, but that's about the limit. I'm just under/over 30 lbs depending on the temps, so a couple more days of food wouldn't add much weight, but there just isn't the space inside it.

There are hardly any external frame packs available anymore, and most all the internals I saw, that were big enough for multi-day trips, and had decently padded hip belts and shoulder straps, are heavier than my old Peak 1.

For the money, I kind of like this Jansport Pack. It may not be a huge upgrade from what I have, but it will hold more. I'd love to be able to stuff my down coat in there when I'm not wearing it.

Posted by: Kent W

Re: Buying new pack - 06/12/11 09:06 PM

Check out the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60. Backpacker gave it very high scores and they way overloaded it while testing! It was a fav among testers! Good luck
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Buying new pack - 06/12/11 09:50 PM

I don't see how you can gow for several days in mountains where weather is changeable and can be wet and get all your stuff and food into less than 5,000 cubic inches. I couldn't. So I'm thinking that maybe a lot of my stuff is really unusually bulky, like fleece doesn't really compress and all the down fills the unused space in my 6,500 inch pack and it seems like its always full even with 20 pounds in it and I like to be warm in camp and I prepare for colder than expected weather. Of course with only 20 pounds I wouldn't stuff anything.
Jim

Re: Buying new pack - 06/13/11 10:34 AM

Jim- I think my GoLite Quest is 4,000 cubic inches. I do 10-day trips, with a bear can, outfitted for temperatures below freezing, raingear, Tarptent, and get everything inside the pack (except crocks and water bottle). The bulk of clothing is also dependant on the size of the person - I suspect my clothing is half the bulk of yours, simply because I am short and you are tall; I probably need a third to half less food than you do. I use compression sacks for clothes and sleeping bag. All food fits in the bear can. We little folks can get by with less volume in our packs.
Posted by: Rayman1968

Re: Buying new pack - 06/13/11 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
So I'm thinking that maybe a lot of my stuff is really unusually bulky, like fleece doesn't really compress and all the down fills the unused space in my 6,500 inch pack

Dayum, that is one big pack. Just under 110 liters.

Re: Buying new pack - 06/13/11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By Jim Shaw
I don't see how you can gow for several days in mountains where weather is changeable and can be wet and get all your stuff and food into less than 5,000 cubic inches. I couldn't

I'm just learning that.

I bought that Peak 1 pack at least 12 years ago and I didn't really think I'd be backpacking in cold weather here. Silly me, it was the warm weather I'd never be backpacking in here. I learned that pretty fast, but I've been slow to learn the art of backpacking in cold weather. All my previous experience was warm weather by comparison. I've switched to lighter, warmer clothes, like fleece and down, and that is exactly why I need more room.

But I also would like more comfort with as little added weight as possible. That's a tough trade off. Some of those internal frame packs do look comfy, but they're all over 5lbs. I don't know, maybe that's not that bad, but it sounds bad frown
Posted by: DTape

Re: Buying new pack - 06/13/11 06:11 PM

I suppose those of us who use spreadsheets to keep track of gear and make our lists for each trip could include a volume column to go with the weight column. Now that I think of it, should make choosing the right pack for the trip easier.

Re: Buying new pack - 06/16/11 12:28 PM

I'm really trying to lighten up. I'm just having problems with how to do so (comfort zone) - I figured I could shed 2 pounds with a new pack and that was easy... Ha! I didn't buy the Flash - it just didn't fit right. The only bag they had at REI that did fit was the Deuter ACT lite 60+10. Doesn't save me weight.

I didn't buy a pack.

I'm hoping to learn some lightening up tips from WD... =)
Posted by: phat

Re: Buying new pack - 06/18/11 03:14 PM

Best bet is to try on with load - my wife loves her gregory jade- but it fits her well. so a lot will depend on you, and weight ratings are suggestive, but not 100% accurate - I carry more comfortably in a granite gear virga than it is "rated" for, but I also pack it in a way that helps do that, and it still seems comfortable for me.

I know people with the flash, golite, granite gear, gregory, ula, and six moon designs packs who all love them.

I'm *very* jealous of your zpacks hexamid aquisition wink

Re: Buying new pack - 06/20/11 05:14 PM

I haven't bought the zpacks hexamid - it is on my equipment lotto list. Trying to talk the pay the bills guy (husband) into it.

Re: Buying new pack - 06/21/11 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
I haven't bought the zpacks hexamid - it is on my equipment lotto list. Trying to talk the pay the bills guy (husband) into it.

Your husband pays the bills? Geez.. I'm a liberated man.. bills and taxes are what the money fairy deals with (I'm married to an accountant - which means that anything of this sort I attempt I will do "wrong" so therefore it's better to just play dumb)

She does complain about the gear and gun closets though.

Re: Buying new pack - 06/21/11 08:09 PM

Since I'm an accountant, I'm the CFO of our house. However, I always remember that Karol is the CEO. Which means that, in order to get a two-to-one vote in favor of new gear, I sometimes have to double as the household CWO (Chief Whining Officer.)

Re: Buying new pack - 06/21/11 09:12 PM

Well don't despair - you'll eventually find a lighter pack that works.

Looking at my little standard gear list in my .signature, I notice I've got right aroun 3 kilos of stuff (or 3.6 kilos of stuff if I have my bear spray and PLB) with me that does *NOT* include my big three - if you take out your big three how are you doing in that respect compared to the likes of me?

note that breaks down to:

2 kilos of clothing
1/2 kilo of kitchen kit (including ursak - i'd be heavier on this in the sierras because I'd be packing a canister)
1/2 kilo of "ditty bag" (everything else including first aid)
300 grams of plb
300 grams of bear spray

If you're getting down close to that, well, I'd say you're doing pretty good - then it's just a matter of when you can afford a lighter big three that feels and fits good.
Posted by: shotokun16

Re: Buying new pack - 06/24/11 04:12 PM

Kelty Coyote 4750 (80 ltrs)

Just a noob response, however, Kelty has a lifetime warranty on all backpacks.

Life time Warranty: "...for the lifetime of the product, against defects in materials or workmanship...Kelty warranty does not cover defects attributable to or resulting from normal wear and tear i.e. exhausted zippers), natural hazard damage (i.e. weather and animals, UV), abuse or alteration. (KELTY.com)

Re: Buying new pack - 06/24/11 07:08 PM

Dude, it weighs 5 lb 9 oz - a pound more than what I have now =)

I'm thinking about ordering and trying the GoLite Quest Pack - just trying to figure out if I want the woman's version or the regular one.

Posted by: Pika

Re: Buying new pack - 05/23/14 10:28 AM

I have used a Golite Quest for six years as my "hauler". It weighs 48 oz, will handle up to 45 pounds adequately, rides comfortably and, at least the men's pack I have, will take a BV-500 horizontally on the bottom. I considered one of the Osprey "trampoline" packs but could never figure out how to fit a bear can inside with the rest of my gear due to the curve of the bag. Of course, fit and comfort are the important factor as I am sure you know. I don't think REI carries Golite so you might want to look at one on a trial basis. I think the Quest is great but it may not fit you; worth a look though.

I also have one of the early Jam2 (2008) packs. It is great for light packing but won't handle much over 25 pounds with any comfort. But, I can get a BV-500 horizontally into the bottom of this pack too though it's a tighter fit.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Buying new pack - 05/23/14 12:16 PM

Pika, I also own a GoLite Quest and use it for large loads. I'm pretty sure it has been redesigned since you and I bought ours and, of course, it became heavier in the process. Also, if the original poster of three years ago hasn't already made up their mind what to buy I would be very surprised! grin

Re: Buying new pack - 05/23/14 12:43 PM

This post is 3 years old. Heather, what pack did you buy and how has it worked out? I use the women's GoLite Quest. It is comfortable to 30 pounds, OK to 35 and a pain at 40. It is now worn out so I am looking for another pack too. I feel that the support back-board has broken down - it is not as comfortable as it used to be (maybe I am just getting older!). I do not think they make the Quest anymore, or maybe just call it something else.

Re: Buying new pack - 05/23/14 01:13 PM

I ended up with an Osprey Aether, not sure off hand how many liters. It is heavier than the other models I was looking at, but I could try it on and get it fitted locally. The other models that I could try on locally that were lighter just didn't fit right. And to be honest I'm a bit of a feature hound - I love that I can hook my poles up out of the way or just free up my hands.

For overnights I do end up usually using a different pack - which is my Camelback backpack.
Posted by: godzilla

Re: Buying new pack - 05/23/14 09:18 PM

Hi,

I'm currently using a Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude panel loading pack which is 3800 cubic inches. It is comfortable but on my last trip to Grand Canyon, starting with nine liters water, I just did not have enough space and reached the limits of carrying comfortably. I want to get a larger volume pack that can carry a heavier water load when needed, but this forces me into getting a heavier pack like the Gregory Baltoro 75 or Osprey Aether 70 or 85. I tried on both of these models at REI and even though they are quite a bit heavier, they really are comfortable with a good fit. Guess I just hate the idea of a heavier pack when I've lighted my shelter, bag and pad to about 3 pounds. What kind of loads do you carry with your Aether and are you completely satisfied?

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Buying new pack - 05/27/14 03:27 PM

Looking at my camping spreadsheet my base weight (not including food, water and what I'm wearing) is about 32 lbs.

I love my pack - removing the lid is a pain though, so it isn't nearly as useful as I thought that portion would be. I use the pole holder a lot, though it doesn't have as many attachement points as I would like on the front harness (I carry my GPS and my camera hooked where I can easily get to them.) I believe it has a sleeping bag separator which I never use as well.

Does that help?
Posted by: godzilla

Re: Buying new pack - 06/14/14 09:47 PM

I ended up getting the Osprey Aether 85 which is quite comfortable with a 35-45 pound load (and possible more) for those times when carrying a larger water load is unavoidable. It is 5 pounds (size L) versus my current pack weighing 3.5 pounds. The external hydration sleeve is nice and I have more space for my bag which at 1 pound 9 ounces is light but bulky since I try not to over compress it, just using the non-compression stuff sack that came with it.

If I were looking for a thru-hiking pack instead of a backpacking pack, something 2 pounds or less would be needed.

Good to hear you are enjoying your Aether as well.

Tim
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: Buying new pack - 06/16/14 01:39 PM

Definitely nothing wrong with the Aether (I ended up with an 85 as well) though I was surprised you didn't go for the Ariel which is the ladies version of that same pack? My two camping companions (both ladies) just upgraded from little Deuter 30's to an Aura 50 and an Ariel 65 and love them! So far they haven't managed to get too much trail time but a few 5-7 mile loaded days and they are thrilled. I can't disagree as I love my Aether 85.

Congrats on the new toy! smile

Oh, and Osprey also has that "We don't care what happened, we'll fix it or replace it" guarantee.