How to find backpacking friends

Posted by: kotabear

How to find backpacking friends - 03/16/11 03:34 PM

Is there a site, chatroom, ect. where you can meet other backpackers looking to go on multi-day hikes such as the A.T. or C.D.
Posted by: dragoro

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/16/11 03:44 PM

On the AT at least, it pretty uncommon not to run into people. I just start alone and meet people on the trail.
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/16/11 04:42 PM

meetup.com often has hiking/backpacking groups near major metro areas. You can also join groups there which are based out of metro areas near your preferred trails.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/16/11 10:54 PM

Google for hiking clubs in your area.

If you fill out your profile a little more, there very likely is someone here familiar with online forums or organizations in your area.
Posted by: lori

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/17/11 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By ohiohiker
meetup.com often has hiking/backpacking groups near major metro areas. You can also join groups there which are based out of metro areas near your preferred trails.

Except, meetup whacked up their software to the point that most outdoor sporting groups are fleeing in droves.

Try google - Sierra Club too. There are Sierra Club outings all over the world.
Posted by: Slowfoot

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/17/11 10:19 AM

You could try www.thebackpacker.com. They have a "trips" section where people announce trips. I don't know if they let anyone go who wants to, but it might be worth checking out. I hadn't been to the site in years, but just checked it to make sure it was still there. I did once go on a trip that was scheduled there, but found out about it from another source. The forums there didn't appeal to me due to the trolls.
Posted by: lori

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/17/11 11:06 AM

Also, Yahoogroups - there is a JMT list. Might be lists for other major trails.

Posted by: Kent W

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/17/11 09:49 PM

I suggest going to a well traveled trail. Get down to your Happy Hippi Hikin Suit. AKA Stark naked. Put you pack on and Hike! I gaurantee if you come across someone that wants to hike with you. Well now that is a Hikin Partner For Life!
Just Kidding !whatever Most of the other suggestions were! Would be truely Horrible if someone with there kids came up the trail.
Pricless! If ya found a friend for life!
Posted by: jps1021

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/18/11 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By Slowfoot
You could try www.thebackpacker.com. The forums there didn't appeal to me due to the trolls.

Charlie? Is that you, Charlie?
Posted by: Slowfoot

Re: How to find backpacking friends - 03/18/11 03:00 PM

No, I'm not Charlie. I never posted there.