First Trip Gear

Posted by: zeppelin03

First Trip Gear - 02/24/10 08:04 PM

I'm planning my first trip for late april. It will be a weekend in central pennsylvania. It could potentially be followed by a week in the smokey mountains a few weeks later. This will be with someone quite experienced. I have almost no gear. Only thing i have is pocket knives, lighters and flashlights. I'm looking at the 18lb 3 day list as a point of reference.

What might be a smarter way to go when it comes to gear. Buy the cheapest i can find for decent quality, or get some nicer stuff right away. My though was while it may be more trouble with heavier, cheaper stuff, i could find out what qualities I want in the items.

Is their any way to cut costs and still be prepared? I would prefer to just buy as opposed to make myself.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: First Trip Gear - 02/24/10 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By zeppelin03

Is their any way to cut costs and still be prepared? I would prefer to just buy as opposed to make myself.

1) For the time being you may want to consider renting your pack, sleeping bag and tent (if needed). REI does rentals.

2) Goodwill, Arc etc are great places to get clothing. Used fleeces, raincoats, rainpants and synthetic t-shirts etc are usually there in abundance. Granted this stuff is not going to be the lightest, but its cheap and allows you to focus your money where it is really needed.

3) Look on the gear swap forums for used gear.

4) Ask your friends and family for any gear which they are able to loan you.

5) Develop a list of items that you need, and don't deviate. Note the differences between "want" and "need" and you will save yourself alot of time and money.

6) Look around your home, you probably already have a lot of items that are more than adequate to use.
Posted by: verber

Re: First Trip Gear - 02/26/10 12:37 AM

Chris' recommendations are pretty much the same as I would make. I would add educate yourself, buy the "right" items even if they seem expensive, and if you have to buy items new, keep a lookout at pleases known for deep discounts like sierra trading post. I wrote up a few notes about backpacking cheap including some budget packing lists.

--Mark