Water Filter System

Posted by: Cstolworthy

Water Filter System - 01/25/10 09:32 PM

I have been doing some reading and I have been trying to find a good water purifying solution. I would potentially like to stay with just a filter solution (no chemicals), but I am not sure what to get. A lot of people seem to like the sweetwater setup, but I am looking for any other suggestions that people might have.

I am just getting back into backpacking, the last time I went I was going out with my Dad and he already had all the gear. So I need to learn about the differences in gear, and what to look for etc... Any input and advice is welcome!
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Water Filter System - 01/25/10 09:55 PM

A good, general purpose, reliable, field-cleanable filter is the MSR Miniworks. Many ultralighters feel it is incredibly heavy, but most other filters are only 4 - 8 ounces lighter.

There are other good filters, but most descriptions of them begin, "As good as the Miniworks, except..."

Having said that, I'm going to try out a couple of Katadyn's offerings: the Mini and the Vario. I'll try to remember to let you know how that goes.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Water Filter System - 01/25/10 10:05 PM

It really depends on your style.

My partner and I started off with a pump filter (MSR Miniworks) but to tell you the truth after hiking and fishing all day, the last thing that we wanted to do was pump water and so we switched to the Platypus CleanStream Gravity Filter and now all we do is fill up the dirty bag and hang it from a tree and let gravity do all of the work.

Granted it is a couple of ounces heavier than most pump filters, but it is more packable and has a better output per minute than most pump filters.

We also still carry chlorine tabs or drops because anything can happen: bag gets a puncture, the pump brakes etc and for an additional 1/2 ounce and minimal space in the pack it is no hassle to throw in a bottle.

Re: Water Filter System - 01/25/10 10:20 PM

I do plan on carrying tablets for a "just in case" situation. Thanks for all the input so far, I really appreciate it smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Water Filter System - 01/26/10 04:00 AM

I am looking at sort of replicating the ULA Amigo Pro filter which, now that ULA has passed to new owners, has been discontinued. My bag sprung a leak (although I can't find a source), and due to my negligence mold developed in part of the tubing. I was hoping to buy a new Amigo Pro when ULA reopened this winter, but because of the management change it is no longer available.

The setup basically requires a 1.5 gallon (6-8 liter) silnylon bag, a Katadyn Hiker Pro filer, and a bunch of tubing. My Amigo Pro weighs about 7.5 oz, lighter than most pump filters, and filters 1 liter per second (better than I can manage with a pump and an aching lower back!).

I'll post results in the Make Your Own Gear section when (if) I get my own version together.

Like others here, I do take along some Katadyn MicroPur tablets as backup in case of filter failure, or of encountering really nasty water sources where I want to be sure I kill everything.

Re: Water Filter System - 02/02/10 10:56 AM

Ok, so after researching the options here I am torn between the MSR Miniworks and the Platypus CleanStream Gravity Filter.

I really like the idea of the gravity fed system. However some of the reviews I am reading say while the water is clean it can come through discolored and a little brackish tasting. Really that (for me at least) is the biggest reason I lean more to the MSR.

Can anyone confirm / deny this claim? If it is true, does anyone have any experience rigging another filter inline to clean up the taste / color?
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Water Filter System - 02/02/10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By Cstolworthy
Ok, so after researching the options here I am torn between the MSR Miniworks and the Platypus CleanStream Gravity Filter.

I really like the idea of the gravity fed system. However some of the reviews I am reading say while the water is clean it can come through discolored and a little brackish tasting. Really that (for me at least) is the biggest reason I lean more to the MSR.

Can anyone confirm / deny this claim? If it is true, does anyone have any experience rigging another filter inline to clean up the taste / color?

I have never experienced any discoloration or odd taste in the water when it has been filtered through my Cleanstream. Perhaps these users failed to backwash or change their cartridge prior to using it-- this is just my experience, and shouldn't be taken as anymore valuable than other experiences (positive or negative) that you have read.

As for rigging it, there is information out there about combining the sawyer system with that of the platypus to lighten up the system a little, but I have have not tried this and have no experience nor desire to do so.

Other gravity filter options are the Sawyer Complete Water System, MSR Hyper Flow and the cheapest option, Katadyn's Base Camp Filter.
Posted by: phat

Re: Water Filter System - 02/02/10 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By Cstolworthy

If the color is due to suspended particulate matter, your filter will get it.

If the color is due to dissolved organic molecules (i.e. tannins) your filter isn't going to filter it. Activated charcoal or zeolite might take it out by biding up to it to make it look clearer - some filters include modules like this in their cartriges - they also wear out and are of course, bigger and heavier. It also doesn't matter. I've drank coffee coloured water that was perfectly sweet and nice.

As for "brackish" - that usually means salty, like from an estuary. No filter is going to take salt out of water.

F'rinstance - Wonderful tasting water - a couple weeks ago:

Posted by: Shrike

Re: Water Filter System - 02/02/10 06:05 PM

Have you looked at the steripen ? It is about 5 ounces and kills everything inculding viruses. I use it with chemical tabs as backup. Check it out, it just might work for you. It is a very good system.
Posted by: Prospector

Re: Water Filter System - 02/02/10 07:02 PM

When I'm able to get back out there, I'm looking to change my drinking water situation and am on the fence as to what system I should go with. I hike the Palmetto Trail here in SC and the water would best be described as swamp water. No matter what system I end up buying, I'll first filter the water through a bandanna to get the big stuff out first. I have strongly considered the Steripen. Considering weight and function, it doesn't sound like any other system will do me any better. The available water seems to be nearly stagnet and boiling the water vigorously has been the only thing that eases my mind. I know they say that all you really need to do is bring it to a rolling boil, but I'd rather err on the side of overly cautious than ruin my time on the trail and end up using too much TP in the process. What say you folks. I'm really tired of carrying in so much water and then biting my nails as I watch my new water supply come to a boil.
Posted by: phat

Re: Water Filter System - 02/02/10 08:47 PM

I've looked at steripen - depends on a battery working, and weighs three times as much as my pristine (canadian aquamira).

Cl02 kills everything, including viruses - and I don't even taste it.
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Water Filter System - 02/04/10 08:23 AM

Katadyn Hiker Pro as an alternative to the MSR Sweetwater or the MiniWorks?

I bought the Katadyn Hiker Pro after talking to the guys at Campmor - the Sweetwater has a weak point in how the lever arm is attached to the pivot point. After watching some of our troop's scouts destroy a Sweetwater, Campmor's rep's discussion of how often they get returns of that design, and Campmor's assurance that the Hiker Pro was more "scout proof" I went that route.

Steadman

Re: Water Filter System - 02/05/10 08:46 PM

Thanks for that bit of info. I had been looking at the hiker pro last summer but was kinda having second thoughts due to it's size, not that it's thaaaaaat big a deal. When comparing it to the Steripen + batteries, what are we talking in weight and size differences. Let's say we're talking a 3 day, 2 night trip when figuring on battery consumption. Also, I noticed that Steripen has a multitude of models. My water consumption is around 5 to 6 liters per day on a hot day. I'm going to take your advice concerning the Sweetwater 'cause my luck would be that I break it on the first pump and I've learned to take the advice coming from Campmor. Thank you again for continued thoughts on the subject.

Re: Water Filter System - 02/06/10 08:58 AM

The steripen should last you an entire trip if you used it 5 or 6 times a day for 3 days. I went on a 7 day trip with three other guys and we all used the steripen. We never replaced the batteries.

Re: Water Filter System - 02/06/10 12:56 PM

Sounds like that should cover me quite well! I always hike solo, so it would just be me pulling from my supply. Solo isn't necessarily by choice, just don't know anybody here that gets it. I don't understand how people fail to see or feel the wonder of getting away from the hustle bustle. Most people I know would rather just go sit on the beach or the couch. If I could find a job that required me to be out in the wilds most of the time, you would have a struggle on your hands finding a happier person on the planet! NO JOKE!! I wish I had seen the light a while back and busted my butt getting a job as a park ranger somewhere. That would fit me to a T. With my business having all but failed due to the economy, who knows. Maybe God will smile on me and well, ...... who knows. Ooops... sorry, got a little off subject. This has narrowed me down to two or maybe three choices and I thank you all for your input.

Re: Water Filter System - 02/07/10 01:36 AM

Glad to hear you have narrowed it down. If you have the opportunity try to rent or borrow a water system. I made the mistake of buying too much gear too quickly. I ended up with little money and a bunch of heavy gear(i.e. miniworks ex. great filter, way way to heavy!). So if you can use some gear before buying, do it. See what works for you. My .02. Good luck!

PS. dont forget a backup!
Posted by: Ken the Bear

Re: Water Filter System - 02/11/10 02:23 PM

I used to use the pur hiker

Re: Water Filter System - 02/12/10 08:22 PM

Hey Shrike,
Sorry I've not gotten back with you before now...... busy week thank goodness! Business has been so slow I almost forgot what work is. Now I remember and love it!

I'm not in the best of areas for finding such items to rent, but I will check into that. I do however always pay close attention to weight. I use a Kelty Corrie 1 tent, which is a little over 3 lbs., Deuter 60+10 ACT Zero pack which gives me plenty of space at a low weight, etc. I bought a pair of Kayland Zephyrs last summer and have never owner a pair of boots I loved more! They are light weight, extremely breathable which is great cause I sweat like there's no tomorrow and waterproof for sure. Bottom line is weight is a major concern for me...... proven by my recent back surgery, and I do pay close attention. Second in importance is quality. I am required by decreasing income, to watch my dollars and therefore may pay a little extra to get something that I can expect to last a little while. As far as a backup is concerned, whew........ for now I guess a bandanna and boiling will have to do. I take extreme care of my stuff in every effort to not have to replace it too soon..... but as you are indicating.... things do happen. Wish our equipment didn't cost so much. HAHAHAHAH!!!! It could be worse though. Sailing is a good example! Boats come in 3 dimensions: Length, Width, and Debt. :>O If it's fun, it's gonna cost ya!

Thanks again for the suggestions and thoughts. Very much appreciated.
Posted by: Quigley

Re: Water Filter System - 02/18/10 04:11 PM

I just got started in backpacking and am only doing day hikes for now. I with a Katana (spelling that wrong I know) water bottle with a straw filter in it. Places I hike have plenty of water so if I run low I just drip it into the clear stream and then sip thru the straw.