Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter

Posted by: Steven

Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/13/10 11:10 PM

Ok, maybe I didn't think things all the way through. I own a MSR Miniworks filter. I thought it would be really good for me since it would screw directly onto the wide mouth bottles I owned. Works good, but I decided, you know those bottles are kind of heavy, so i purchased a Platypus set of water bottles. So now I realize that unless I want to pour water from one bottle into another, I need an adaptor that will have the wide mouth male thread to a small mouth female thread. Does anyone know about such an adaptor? Klean Kanteen makes something close, but it fits their specific bottles. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___78207
Thanks in advance
Posted by: thecook

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/13/10 11:21 PM

Just switch to the nalgene equivalent of platypus, they have wide mouths.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/14/10 09:26 AM

I like the platy small mouth bottles because:
1. easier to drink out of than wide mouth
2. can roll up smaller than wide mouth

But, as you noticed, they don’t fit on filters. So I use the ‘First Need XL Narrow Mouth Direct Connect Adapter’. It fits the platy and soda bottles http://generalecology.com/category/portable/accessories . My First Need fits wide mouth bottles so I was happy they made this adapter.

I got mine at REI but it looks like they’re out. But there are other stores that carry it.

-Barry
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/14/10 09:31 AM

Platypus have the same size cap as PET soft drink bottles. Drill a hole in a soda bottle cap just a bit smaller than the outside diameter of your latex output tubing. Pull the entire adaptor assembly off the end of the tubing and put the tubing through the hole in the bottle cap.

Posted by: lori

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/14/10 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By food
Platypus have the same size cap as PET soft drink bottles. Drill a hole in a soda bottle cap just a bit smaller than the outside diameter of your latex output tubing. Pull the entire adaptor assembly off the end of the tubing and put the tubing through the hole in the bottle cap.

This, plus, you'll want to drill a tiny hole next to the large one so the air can get out, otherwise you're going to blow the platy up like a balloon with that pump filter.

Platys will blow up to an amazing size and withstand a LOT of pressure.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/14/10 11:35 AM

lori,

Thank you for picking up the slack on my imcompete answer. thanks

My excuse is that I converted to AquaMira several years ago and forgot about the second hole. lame

On those nights when I have to wear ALL my clothes a blown up Platy become my pillow. They are very air tight.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/14/10 01:07 PM

If I remember correctly, the Miniworks screws directly onto a nalgene and does not use an output hose. This, unfortunatly, negates the screw top idea, which otherwise is a great one!

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/14/10 09:48 PM

Yes, unfortunately the MSR Mini works screws directly onto the wide mouth bottle. Looks like the First Need Direct Connect Narrow-Mouth Adapter will work. I knew someone would have solved the problem.
Thanks Everyone!! thanks

Re: Adaptor for MSR Miniworks EX filter - 01/14/10 09:51 PM

Never thought about the pillow option. Great idea.
thanks