Deciding on a daypack

Posted by: stevedave

Deciding on a daypack - 11/13/09 12:52 AM

Currently I have a sling bag that I typically take on day hikes but I've noticed that if I get any size load in the pack it tends to wear me out quick. So I've decided that I would like to get another bag. I think I've narrowed it down to three choices but I'd like suggestions from others if another would fit my needs better.

Gregory Miwok

Osprey Stratos 24

REI Traverse 30

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Deciding on a daypack - 11/13/09 09:19 AM

What are your needs?
Posted by: Larry

Re: Deciding on a daypack - 11/13/09 11:19 AM

Golite Ion? http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=PA5265&mc=176&t=&lat=

It really depends on how much weight you'll be carrying but it's hard to beat the Ion for price and weight when it comes to a day pack. Especially with the sales some places are having on them these days.
Posted by: stevedave

Re: Deciding on a daypack - 11/13/09 12:38 PM

I want something that I could easily haul about 20-25lbs, typically I would be wayyyy under this but I'd like the option. I'd also like to have multiple pockets and not just a top-load bag. Waterproof would be nice, but not required.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Deciding on a daypack - 11/13/09 08:33 PM

The Vapor Day would meet your weight requirement; I'm not sure about the multiple pockets. I recently got one, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Posted by: Knaight

Re: Deciding on a daypack - 11/14/09 11:58 PM

My Golite Jam2 holds up to 3100 cubic inches, so I can take it for multiple day trips no problem. It also has an excellent cinch system that allows it to double as a great daypack. Its weight? 23 oz.

Why not get a pack that'll do double duty? The Jam fits the bill and a few more do as well.
Posted by: Bruce

Re: Deciding on a daypack - 11/17/09 03:08 PM

I like the Osprey Stratos I have one and it is very durable and adapatable.

BA