New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking...

Posted by: UWGMiMi

New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 03:02 PM

I sincerely hope I'm in the right place to post; as my subject reads I'm new to all aspects of backpacking/hiking in general. My father tried to teach me when I was younger and I didn't really listen... Dad's been gone for three years now and I've been in a rut for the last seven. When he became sick, I lost all sense of me and what was important and while I'm still dealing with his death (he passed in my arms), I hear the outdoors calling my name again STRONGLY.

I really want to get back in touch with simple things, wholesome things... nature and all its beauty and wisdom.

My question is: where can I go within my location (just SW of Atlanta, GA) to seek instruction? I don't want to go blindly into the outdoors- I want to respect it and have it respect me in generally.

I'd ideally like to be prepared as much as I can before I start on trails again. Heck, I'd even welcome any friendship that came from my new venture into life.

Again, I hope I have the right section for posting this... if I don't, I do apologize.

Thank you in advance for any information you can point my way!

Warmly,
MiMi
Posted by: Pika

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 03:09 PM

Check and see whether there is a local chapter of the Sierra Club or the Appalachian Trail Club in your area or near enough that you can get there. Both of these organizations sponsor group hikes and outings. These are a good way to ease into the pastime with the guidance of people who are already familiar with it. Welcome and good luck!
Posted by: thecook

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 03:39 PM

My local REI stores also sponsor hikes, training session, and an occasional group camping trip. Check with your local store.

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 03:52 PM

Thanks for the advice... great minds must think alike, because I looked there first! lol All of the REI stores that are offering courses are none of the Georgia stores. BUT I do think you're on target; I'm hoping to get to my store once I'm back from Savannah for the holiday.

Thanks again!

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 03:54 PM

Thank you so much, Pika! I looked at the SC website too prior to joining this forum. I am definitely going to join my local club...
Posted by: sabre11004

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 04:28 PM

Welcome to the site and good luck on you first venture out...sabre11004 awesome

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 05:10 PM

Thanks, Sabre!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 05:55 PM

Googling something on the order of "hiking groups Atlanta" may come up with groups with which you can hike/backpack.

Have you read the articles in the left column of the home page of this site ("TLB Home")? That's a good place to start. There used to be "sticky" posts at the top of this forum section referromg beginners to specific articles on the home page, but they seem to have disappeared.

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 06/29/09 06:52 PM

I'll definitely check out all of the links posted by the site... thanks for tidbit!
Posted by: lori

Re: New to Forum, Site... and to backpacking... - 07/01/09 11:11 AM

Looking for Sierra club chapters or meetup groups or other hiking groups would be a great place to start.

Meetup is less formal than a lot of groups, but there's such a variety of inexperienced and experienced hikers - it's sort of like internet dating only you're hiking, not dating. You'll probably quickly find people you wouldn't mind spending overnight trips with, regardless of what group you hang out with, and you'll be able to ask all kinds of questions.

The forum's full of some good questions and answers as well, so welcome and enjoy!