Grand Teton

Posted by: Nick_Wells

Grand Teton - 06/21/09 12:44 PM

Hi,

In about 10 days my two friends and I will be driving out to Grand Teton to go backpacking for 2 to 3 nights. I was wondering what the minimum that we need to bring is. Is weight still an issue since it is such a short trip? Any suggestions on places to start in the park or anything else we should know?

Thanks for all your help.
Posted by: MattnID

Re: Grand Teton - 06/21/09 02:39 PM

Well, I would say weight depends on your gear, and your gear depends on you and what you're comfortable bringing/not bringing. Are you planning on doing just day hikes or actually hitting one trail for 3-4 days? That's a big factor.

As for stuff to know...bring clothing for cold weather and evening T-storms. It still gets below freezing up there and thunderstorms can pop up quick. There is only one road that goes through the park itself, north from Yellowstone and south towards Jackson. It'd also probably be best to figure out what trail/s you plan on hitting ahead of time and permit some time for educational videos(probably a backcountry saftey video and a bear saftey video). I don't remember if Grand Tetons has a hiker limit, but if they do, have some side plans.

More information on your trip will probably get some more specific information and advice too on here before you head out. smile
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Grand Teton - 06/26/09 08:56 PM

Snow pack is pretty high this year. Depending on elevation you could easily be in some snow. It is usually consolidated enough to walk on top of but expect to sink in late afternoon. Gaiters are good to have. So are trekking poles.
Posted by: ShadeDog

Re: Grand Teton - 06/29/09 11:23 AM

On some trails, at some times of year, an ice axe is required. This may be true even in the summer months. Some friends were forced into buying ice axes at a premium price in Jackson one summer.