Sleeping Bag Question

Posted by: bluepelican

Sleeping Bag Question - 06/20/09 11:57 PM

I just purchased a sleeping bag for my first backpacking trip, but now I'm wondering if I should have gotten a long instead of a regular size bag. The bag fits fine, but the extra room certainly wouldn't hurt. Are there any disadvantages to using a long bag?

Not sure if this helps at all, but it's a North Face Cat's Meow bag. I'm about 6'1" and 160 lbs.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Sleeping Bag Question - 06/21/09 12:24 AM

The alleged disadvantage to a long bag is that it takes more body heat to warm the extra space. They tend to cost more and weigh a bit more as well. My down bag has a fair amount of extra space, but I like it that way. I can somewhat curl up in the bag on my side and still be totally inside the bag, which I don't think would work as well in a shorter one.

You are taller than me and heavier, so I would think you'd want a long. I also have an old Cats Meow and it's a regular as far as I know, but since I'm only 5-10, it works okay for someone my size. My old bag doesn't look much like the new ones, but the name's the same. No way my bag is good to 20F anymore. I don't think it was good to 20F when it was new. I remember freezing in it in a snow cave that probably wasn't down that cold. so take that rating as a bare minimum, not a comfort rating.

The specs say the regular is for someone up to 6' so you're pushing it, plus the long is a bit bigger in the shoulders. If I was you, I'd trade it in. You can use the extra space to dry out socks and shoes (put them in a plastic bag of some sort), keep camera gear warm, etc.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Sleeping Bag Question - 06/21/09 10:23 PM

Remember, You don't want your head or feet pressed against the end of the bag. That will compress the insulation and make you cold.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Sleeping Bag Question - 06/22/09 10:51 AM

I am surprised the regular fits.

Re: Sleeping Bag Question - 06/23/09 07:43 PM

Well, I guess it's gonna have to fit. The outlet store I purchased it from is almost an hour and a half away and it's just not worth it for me to drive out there to exchange it. In retrospect I should have gone with the long, but I have enough room to point my toes so it should be okay.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Sleeping Bag Question - 06/24/09 11:24 AM

So, you can lay in it, with some insulating clothing, zip it up completely with the hood on, not feel like you can't move, and point your toes? If that is the case, sounds like it fits. grin
Posted by: Ryan

Re: Sleeping Bag Question - 06/28/09 08:22 PM

im looking to purchase the same bag, did you get to use it yet? How did it work for you? Im going with the long because i have wide shoulders and am about 6ft and 80lbs heavier than you.

Re: Sleeping Bag Question - 07/02/09 12:10 PM

I used it over the weekend, kinda. It was very humid and the temperature never dropped below 50, so I spent most of the time on top of the bag, not actually inside. For the time I did spend inside, it was only zipped up to about my knees. So I guess I'll have to wait for the next trip to give any sort of real review.