AT in Georgia

Posted by: scruggs

AT in Georgia - 06/15/09 05:33 PM

Hi,

My brother and I are planning a trip to do the Georgia section of the AT. We want to know if anyone knows the nearest/easiest way to extract once we cross over into NC. We are planning to have our parents drive over and pick us up once we cross the state line since they live in Blue Ridge, which is nearby. Thanks!
Posted by: kbennett

Re: AT in Georgia - 06/15/09 08:52 PM

The easiest way for your parents is for you to keep hiking to Deep Gap, NC, and take the Kimsey Creek Trail down to the Standing Indian Campground. They can pick you up at the Backcountry Info Center at the campground (trailhead, parking lot, etc.)

There is a forest service road to Deep Gap. If the gate is open, they could drive up and pick you up there. The gate is several miles up the road, though, and it's best to call the USFS and check before driving up there.

That's a great section, btw, so enjoy it.
Posted by: Berserker

Re: AT in Georgia - 06/16/09 02:11 PM

As of about a month ago the road up to Deep Gap (FS-71) was in good condition. I'd recommend going out at Deep Gap if your parents don't mind driving up the road. I'm not a big fan of the Kimsey Creek trail, but you would be going downhill the entire way if you decide to exit via that route.
Posted by: scruggs

Re: AT in Georgia - 06/19/09 07:06 AM

I called the Forest service yesterday and they told me that USFS 71 was now closed due to work in the area. They told me to check back in a few weeks to see if it had opened.