first-time post

Posted by: left_on_lauraG

first-time post - 05/07/09 05:07 PM

Well, second time, really. I posted earlier today in the trip section. Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone. I just moved to the northwestern part of NC, in the Triad, and I'm excited to explore some of the places around here and Va./Tenn./S.C./Georgia!
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: first-time post - 05/07/09 05:15 PM

Welcome to the campfire. What's your favorite part about lightweight backpacking?

Re: first-time post - 05/07/09 05:29 PM

The challenge. The peace. The amazing views. The "Zen" of being alone outside. That probably sounds a little silly, but I'm a relative newbie.

Your favorite part?

Re: first-time post - 05/07/09 05:34 PM

I enjoy sleeping outside and walking the next day only to find a new "home" for the night. I greatly enjoy all the sights/smells/sounds/photos/textures along the way.
Posted by: DTape

Re: first-time post - 05/07/09 06:17 PM

Welcome to our little part of the online universe!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: first-time post - 05/07/09 08:12 PM

Greetings from out West.
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: first-time post - 05/07/09 09:11 PM

Hi there. You won't find a better place (except when JimShaw and some of the guys are running around in their "Glow-in-the-Dark-Gs."). eek

Re: first-time post - 05/07/09 11:29 PM

You guys are already more entertaining than any web site I've run into. Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be here!
Posted by: zach

Re: first-time post - 05/08/09 12:17 AM

im addicted to checking for the red new thread indications. you prolly will be soon! wink grin

Re: first-time post - 05/08/09 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By Folkalist
Hi there. You won't find a better place (except when JimShaw and some of the guys are running around in their "Glow-in-the-Dark-Gs."). eek

Ewwww... sick
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: first-time post - 05/08/09 07:09 PM

Hey! Welcome to the list smile

Originally Posted By jpanderson80
Ewwww... sick

Hmmm... So I take it your not wanting to try this new piece of gear then. That's a bummer cuz I was counting on you to test out the new "Bullet Proof Kevlar" line I'll be coming out with soon. I'm not sure why, but the standard glow-in-the-dark model seems to attract stray bullets from nearby hunters day and night so I'm having to make some adjustments.

There's always nay-sayers at first, but just wait till all the West Coast hikers start wearing them, then we'll see how you feel about this new technology.

(And just wait till you see the "Cold Weather" model with a built-in warmer. Keep a space open on your Christmas List, your gonna want these)

Bill

Re: first-time post - 05/09/09 12:54 AM

ROFL

Bullet-proof... now that's something special! Ha!

New members, meet Bill. Bill - new members.
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: first-time post - 05/09/09 11:45 AM

So, Bill, I've been meaning to ask. You grow a lot of produce and stuff, right? You don't happen to smoke any of it before you start posting on the forum do you?

Oh, I just saw a commercial for Arkansas tourism. No mention of those magic Ozark necklaces. They must be a real special secret.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: first-time post - 05/09/09 01:40 PM

Quote:
So, Bill, I've been meaning to ask...

Naw... I probably would if it weren't for those pesky helicopters that spend so much time flying the little hollow below my house each October mad

Instead, I find enjoyment in a close cousin. Hops. Specifically those in fine India Pale Ales. We have a microbrewer in Kansas City, "Bouldevard Brewing Co." that just started brewing a great, and I mean great, IPA. "Single Wide".

My favorite is brewed in Michigan at "Bell's Brewery". It's called "Two Hearted Ale". You get a few bottles of either, a jar of "Kelly's Killer Dillers" and a sunny day off, and you'll be livin' the good life cool

Quote:
those magic Ozark necklaces. They must be a real special secret.

Indeed. Did you notice their slogan?

"The Natural State".

There are some things Ozarkers won't tell you. You have to figure it out on your own. If you have, and you bring it up to them, you'll find they are quite eager to share what they know.

Magic necklaces are like that. You see, Ozarkers know why city slickers don't value them, and why true "hillbillies" do. It's just "Natural".

It's getting to be the time of year here when everyone is thinking of getting on the water. Canoeing, Fishing, Swimming in the creeks soon, and later, in the lakes.

It's time to start wearing those necklaces...

Bill