Carrying a Sleeping Bag

Posted by: worldchamp19

Carrying a Sleeping Bag - 02/21/09 08:24 PM

Can everyone give me suggestions on attaching a sleeping bag onto a backpack? It works great when I put it to the bottom horizontal but I think I need to hang it vertical.
Yes I'm a beginner.
Posted by: lori

Re: Carrying a Sleeping Bag - 02/21/09 09:12 PM

Welcome to the board! smile

I'd put it inside the backpack, in a waterproof stuff sack, inside a pack liner, because I carry down quilts and don't like putting $500 in gear on the outside of the pack where a branch or random trip and fall into a stream will totally unmake my day. Sleeping pads, the tarp, the hammock, those I've put in pack outer pockets or strapped on the bottom or down the side.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Carrying a Sleeping Bag - 02/21/09 10:18 PM

What kind of pack are you using? From the way you describe it, it almost sounds like you're using an external frame pack. If so, you're approaching it right; you'll definitely want to use a stuff sack for the bag, though.

If it's an internal frame pack, the sleeping bag should go inside, usually at the bottom of the pack. A stuff sack isn't strictly necessary (I just stuff mine in loose, so it fills all the space) - but if you use one, you might want to use a fairly large one, so you can mold it into the bottom of the pack, too.
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Carrying a Sleeping Bag - 02/22/09 01:02 PM

Back when I used an outer frame pack I'd lash it onto the top or bottom of the pack horizontally. It would catch on brush and get wet when it rained. (It's a good idea to use a waterproof stuffsack in this situation.) Now I have an internal frame pack, and the sleeping bag packs inside where it's protected.

If you can't get it to fit inside, there are a few things you can try: 1) Use a pack liner and don't bother with a stuffsack for the sleeping bag; insted, put it loosely on bottom and put the rest of the gear on top. The gear will compress the bag a little and the bag will fill some of the empty spaces. 2) You can put the sleeping bag in a compression stuffsack. This will compact it as much as it can, and it should fit. You wouldn't want to keep it compressed like this longer than you have to, though, otherwise the bag will lose some of its fluff & get cold.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Carrying a Sleeping Bag - 02/22/09 10:46 PM

If you are using an external frame pack, put your sleeping bag in it's stuff sack and then in a heavy duty garbage bag or trash compactor bag. Push the air out, twist the top closed, double it over and tie with a twist tie. As long as you aren't pushing though heavy brush that should keep you bag dry and safe.
Posted by: Sleddoggin

Re: Carrying a Sleeping Bag - 03/30/09 03:05 PM

I place my sleeping bag into the lower zippered compartment on my backpack. Then I strap my pad above that. My sleeping bag goes into a waterproof bag.