Who makes TALL torso daypacks?

Posted by: SuaveGato

Who makes TALL torso daypacks? - 01/13/09 01:21 PM

Hello all, hope this is the right place for this? Been to REI, Sportsman's warehouse, BIG 5, Sportsmart etc. no luck... I am 6'5" tall and every pack that I try when the shoulder straps are properly adjusted, the waist belt becomes a belly belt on me! I am looking for a day type pack for snowmobilling. Just to carry some food, water, emerg. supplies etc. If I let the sjoulder straps out far enough for the waist belt to be at my waist, then the pack is so far down, it's on the middle of my back and flops around a lot. Does anyone make a pack for TALL, long torsoed people?
thanks,
biGjOhn
Posted by: kbennett

Re: Who makes TALL torso daypacks? - 01/13/09 04:20 PM

That's actually pretty normal, especially for tall people. Tow solutions:

1. Don't use the waist belt. A simple webbing belt doesn't provide any support anyway. Cut it off.

2. Pay a lot more money for a 2200 cubic inch day pack from a company that does make them in different sizes. Osprey, Gregory come to mind.

Note however, that this sort of pack might not work well sitting on a snowmobile.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Who makes TALL torso daypacks? - 01/14/09 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By kbennett

1. Don't use the waist belt. A simple webbing belt doesn't provide any support anyway. Cut it off.

kbennett beat me to the answer. mad wink
If it is a day pack, you don't need a waist strap. Buy a pack without one, or don't use it at all.

Re: Who makes TALL torso daypacks? - 01/14/09 12:32 PM

thaks guys. I really do need the waist belt however to secure it to me on the snowmobile. I'm a pretty agressive rider and the pack bounces around WAY TOO much without it... I might have to look into one of the manufactures you suggested for a bigger pack. 2200 isn't too big for what I need, so that may work?

Anyone else know of any other manufactures that make LONG torso packs?
thanks,
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Who makes TALL torso daypacks? - 01/14/09 12:42 PM

Have you tried Marmot packs? Think a mtnering daypack - it will have suspension and chances are you can find real sizing:
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/equipment/backpacks/mountain/eiger_35/info/details

A hipbelt is needed in certain cases (I know I prefer one myself!) so don't feel you have to go without.

Re: Who makes TALL torso daypacks? - 01/14/09 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By sarbar
Have you tried Marmot packs? Think a mtnering daypack - it will have suspension and chances are you can find real sizing:
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/equipment/backpacks/mountain/eiger_35/info/details

A hipbelt is needed in certain cases (I know I prefer one myself!) so don't feel you have to go without.

Thank you, I will look into those as well!
thanks,
biGjOhn
Posted by: Sleddoggin

Re: Who makes TALL torso daypacks? - 03/30/09 03:07 PM

I'm 6' and my Dad is 6' 5". We've had excellent luck with Gregory backpacks. They make a tall pack.