boots/shoes for backpacking

Posted by: kiteskimo

boots/shoes for backpacking - 01/07/09 03:02 PM

Hey there! I'm pretty new to backpacking. A while ago I bought some really nice heavy-duty boots (unfortunately they're hot and heavy), but last year I got some lighter hiking shoes, the Merrel Chameleon Arcs. I was wondering if these would be good for long-distance backpacking because I know that many people just wear trail running shoes. I want to try and go lightweight, so I wouldn't want to bring my 10 pound boots with me. I have good ankles and am in good shape. Also, I put orthotics in them (if that is relevent to my question at all). My pack weight would hopefully be around 25 pounds.
Thanks for any help!
Posted by: ringtail

Re: boots/shoes for backpacking - 01/07/09 03:23 PM

The tool needs to be matched to the job. Tell us more about your plans.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: boots/shoes for backpacking - 01/07/09 04:01 PM

I can't speak from an experienced backpacker's point of view but I have extensive experience with the Vasque Breeze hiking boots. I wear them every day for work about 8 months out of the year. My work involves hiking and surveying in rough terrain. I used a 1 year old pair for training with pack for 3 months and eventually hiking in the Grand Canyon. I never had a blister or sore feet. They give moderate ankle support and are very lite. I am about to purchase my 3rd pair.