inexpensive down jacket at Academy Sports

Posted by: Cesar

inexpensive down jacket at Academy Sports - 11/20/08 03:05 PM

I went to Academy Sports and outdoors yesterday and they had some house brand down jackets on sale for 29$ The fit isn't perfect but cant complain for 30bux. I don't know much about down jackets but when I lay it flat on the ground its a bit over 3inchs thick. Its doesn't have any type of insulated collar at the zipper so I can see that as a problem and its also not baffled like sleeping bags so it might have cold spots. I got the XL since I have long arms so the body section is a bit big, hence my comment about fit. Well weighed it on my works digital scale inside a stuff sack and it weighs 1lb 11.4oz.

I though it might be decent for beginner gear. Especially for 30bux. Going out to the mountains this weekend to hang out with friends in a cabin and want to see if this will keep me warm at night.
Take care.
Posted by: kbennett

Re: inexpensive down jacket at Academy Sports - 11/20/08 06:12 PM

It'll be fine. Not the lightest, and maybe not the puffiest, but it'll work.
Posted by: JAK

Re: inexpensive down jacket at Academy Sports - 11/20/08 08:51 PM

You can get a very warm wool sweater for 2 pounds, though perhaps not for $30. The main thing I would avoid is unnecessarily heavy shell weight. Second things is having nice little pockets in the right places, and warm ones for hands and your lighter and stuff like that. I think alot depends on what al your wearing under it and with it, whether or not it works within your system. I have a heavy down parka I use on really cold days in town and on day-hikes but not on overnight hikes.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: inexpensive down jacket at Academy Sports - 11/21/08 05:56 AM

I think as you gain experience, you move on to more expensive gear, enjoy things while they are cheap.:) The only down jacket I have, is the one my mom gave me, that was my dads. I have taken it on fall week long trips as it was the warmest piece of outerwear I had. Kinda heavy and bulky, not designed for bping. I have a down vest and pants now, I want to get another down jacket, my Golite Coal synthetic jacket doesn't seem that warm when the day starts cooling down.