weight questions (hammock)

Posted by: BigMatt68

weight questions (hammock) - 09/22/08 12:32 PM

I've been seeing lots of information and lots of recommendations for hammock use. I am interested in the idea of hammock sleeping but have questions concerning my body weight.

Are there weight restrictions for most hammocks?

I'm about 310 give or take 5 lbs.

thanks again,

Matt
Posted by: Heintooga

Re: weight questions (hammock) - 09/22/08 01:58 PM

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

http://www.hammockforums.net/
Posted by: phat

Re: weight questions (hammock) - 09/23/08 04:15 PM

The ultralight hennesey is rated for 200, the standard hennesey 250. I find those limits very conservative - IMO you'd probably do fine in the standard hennessy as long as you were not jumping around in it.

I use a speer type (homemade) with a nylon outer shell. I'ts very much like the link for
risk's test hammock I posted earlier for you - just finished with velcro around the outside,
a ridgeline, and mosquito net. it will do fine as well.
Posted by: Spock

Re: weight questions (hammock) - 09/23/08 06:19 PM

All hammocks have weight limits. They apply to both the body fabric and the lines, hardware and other weight-supporting items such as tree huggers or slap straps. IOW, although the manufacturer's weight limits are usually conservative, IMHO, the other load-bearing items have to be taken into consideration as well. Choose carefully.

The principles to keep in mind always are: when a system reaches its limit you should expect it to fail catastrophically; and use your system to minimize stress on it. For example, hang your hammock loosely - sagging- from its supports since that produces far less stress than hanging it tightly.

For homemade hammocks, you have to be your own engineer. For example, I use home-made hammocks of either 1.1 oz or 1.6 oz nylon and lines exclusively of 1.5 inch polypropolene webbing. I weigh 220. If I weighed over 300, I would use 2 inch webbing and the next available heavier fabric such as 2 oz.