Plein Air Painting

Posted by: Jim M

Plein Air Painting - 02/05/23 05:09 PM

Hope this isn't too awfully off subject.
I paint outdoors (called Plein Air) watercolor paintings. There are lots of fun topics that arise. My paint equipment has been boiled down to less than a pound and perfectly adequate. Do any of you paint outdoors? What is you favorite subject? Do your hiking/backpacking friends put up with waiting for you while you Paint? Do you use an easel? I have a very light weight one, but prefer to just put a block or tablet on my lap. I'll see if I can add my latest painting to this note. later..........does not appear I can easily do that. Jim
Posted by: aimless

Re: Plein Air Painting - 02/05/23 06:01 PM

Not sure how many replies you'll get, so I'll mention that my wife does watercolors on many of our hikes. She's refined her kit over a couple of decades. She'll buy a few large sheets of high class watercolor paper and cut them into much smaller sheets, then have them spiral bound at a local Kinko's copy store to use for her plein air sketches. She uses a Windsor & Newton travel kit on hikes and refills the pans with her preferred color palette. She has a small travel brush she likes. It's all very compact and probably around a pound.

Often she'll do a quick painting in about 45 to 60 min after lunch. I don't mind the extra time to digest and read or write and it makes her happy. It's a regular part of our hikes together now.

Re: Plein Air Painting - 02/06/23 01:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. I would love to see some of her work.
I have enjoyed a couple of books by C. Johnson on painting in nature. For example: The Sierra Club Guide to Painting in Nature (Sierra Club Books Publication)
by Cathy A. Johnson
I may have to leave this site for a few minutes, but I'll try to send a link to my work in another message.
Jim

Re: Plein Air Painting - 02/06/23 01:06 AM

Aimless;
here is a link to my art. see if it works for you.
https://fineartamerica.com/art/jim+morrison+hansville
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Plein Air Painting - 02/06/23 04:43 PM

Those are excellent watercolors. I studied that method along with others about 35 years ago but my passion has been photography for over 50 years so that’s what I do every time we go out. Got real close to a deer this morning and captured a few more natural things.

On a side note we still display some watercolors we bought from a guy down in Puerta Vallarta years ago who had no arms and painted with his mouth. He was very good. Some of his compositions touched my being and memories of other times and places. It’s a powerful medium.
Posted by: LeoB

Re: Plein Air Painting - 08/22/23 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By Jim M
Aimless;
here is a link to my art. see if it works for you.
https://fineartamerica.com/art/jim+morrison+hansville

Your works look great!