Tis the Season

Posted by: dylansdad77

Tis the Season - 12/24/15 10:48 AM

Without going into gory detail, I am currently suffering from a malady that has stricken men for eons and fate chose to strike at me with full fury. There is no medicine, there is no treatment, there is only the hope that it will run its course as soon as possible Unfortunately, for me that looks to be years away...what malady could I possibly be referring to?

I have a beautiful 15-year old daughter whom I love dearly but vehemently denies Copernicus and his Heliocentric Model because she SWEARS the Earth revolves around herself. It is quite a common occurrence to hear her say "Well this one has that, and that one has this, and you should SEE the house this one lives in! OMG!!!"

In an attempt to knock her down a few pegs, my wife came up with a simply brilliant idea. A local woman in our neighborhood posted on Facebook that she was participating in the Adopt-A-Family program this holiday season and she was looking for volunteers to deliver the gifts to the families she was sponsoring. They are spread out all over New Jersey (not a huge state BUT traffic is murder <wink>).

So we volunteered. And we took the kids. It was our way of getting 2 points across to her:

#1 - be damn thankful for the things you have, because just as you look at this one and that one and covet what she has, there are millions of people out there that feel the same way about you.

#2 - Christmas is a time of giving. And donating a day of your time to help other people out is a noble effort.

The result? She b****ed and moaned for the first 2 houses. By the 3rd house, she felt genuinely happy that she was helping people and asked what other volunteering options are out there.

Next month, she and I are volunteering at a local soup kitchen. By her request.

If you have an opportunity this Holiday season to do unto others, please do. If not, make an opportunity.

Wishing you all the very best this Holiday Season!
Posted by: packlite

Re: Tis the Season - 12/24/15 12:01 PM

Excellent. Thank you for sharing and taking care of your children in such a way.

Out of necessity, I started working at a very early age.

I taught my teenage children they can have whatever they want (beyond what I provide) but they had to work for it. My son got his first job at 14, worked his way thru college, and is now a successful person, father and employee. My daughters the same.

I could have given them more but felt is was more important for them to gain perspective about "have/have nots" and to learn to fend for themselves whilst still under my roof and protection.

I'm currently guiding my 16-year old grandson (who lives with us) along this same path (including helping an older neighbor shovel snow today).

It's not the kid's fault when they don't get life education and guidance from their parents.

Anyway, your report is good to hear. Thanks again.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Tis the Season - 12/26/15 09:47 PM

Dylansdad, that was a great Christmas story, that I hope will have permanent effects. Thank you
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Tis the Season - 12/27/15 09:03 AM

Great post, and it sounds like you've found your cure.
Both of my daughters, after serving in many health/welfare church missions in the most poverty stricken parts of Mexico, chose their career paths based on those experiences. This took place before and during their teen years.
One is now a PharmD, the other just graduated as an RN. Both have maintained their "servants hearts", now into their 20's.
We, the parents, never projected or expected this outcome.
It should be required that our youth (and adults!) see how the other side lives, and participate in aiding those people. It's a life changing experience for everyone involved.
Hats off to you, dylansdad77!