The real experience

Posted by: therealexp

The real experience - 09/09/15 06:18 PM

Hello guys, me and two of my best friends felt an urge to create something entertaining, so we came up with this idea about traveling to south east Asia for about a month to make a reality show about backpacking.
We will be recording from an intimate view of three backpackers perspective to show the world an adventure like no other traveling show has ever done before.
We will include every side of the adventure, from the best moments in life when you just want the time to stop and nothing to ever change, to the worst experiences where you just want everything to end. You will be seeing action-packed days with crazy adrenaline pumping acitivities, to calm and relaxing trips with the most beautiful views you can imagine, as well as see us goin through markets and the traveling itself.

We will also be doing this independent so our thoughts and opinions will be honest.

This is just in the first stage so we have not done any planning yet, atleast none that matters, so at this point we are just hunting for opinions.
So we want to ask you guys what your thoughts about a project like this are. Is it something you and/or other people would be supportive about?
And what do you think people want to see in this kind of show? (Activities, places, routes, you name it.)

This project will be shared free of charges!
Posted by: aimless

Re: The real experience - 09/10/15 12:04 AM

Is it something you and/or other people would be supportive about?

I would be willing to say "good luck" and "I hope you enjoy your trip". Is that the kind of support you were looking for? I hope so. Because I'm not likely to pay much, if any, attention to your plans beyond that.

To be honest, watching videos of other people going places, doing things and seeing sights is an activity I only indulge in sporadically and only when nothing better presents itself. Both television and the internet already have about 1,000,000 times more of this sort of stuff available than I would ever get around to watching, so there is no shortage of options.

Sorry if this seems cruel, but you asked. I'm only telling the truth, as it applies to me. But I do hope you have fun, if you decide to go.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: The real experience - 09/10/15 02:57 PM

Plus this site is not a travel forum; it's for backpacking US style, on trails in the backcountry, carrying your own food and shelter. In other words, you have picked the wrong forum.

Like aimless, I'm not interested. Since I have always worked and scrimped and saved to fund my own travels and hobbies, I am, frankly, offended by those who expect others to provide such funding. Now I'm getting even harsher than aimless!
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: The real experience - 09/10/15 03:33 PM

For me personally backpacking has never been an "Xtreme" sport, it's been time I've spent enjoying nature, and because of my time out there I think it's a bit contrived to believe you'd experience "the best moments in life", "to the worst experiences where you just want everything to end" on a 30 day trip.

I mean, I've been out there when it was just perfect and an hour later it was storming and pouring rain and the temps were falling fast, but I was backpacking. I was prepared for it and knew the odds of it happening.

If you're asking if I'd support a "Go fund Me" type project for this, no, I wouldn't, but others might, and do, so I won't discourage you from trying. I'll tell you to get on it and honestly hope you do get funded.

As for watching it, I'm like aimless. I don't watch much of anything to begin with, and "reality" type TV is near the bottom of the list of programming options I'd choose, but my wife watches that stuff. She pays for it, so again, I'll have to encourage you to go for it.

I would watch it if you showed me very cool places and introduced me to the locals enough so I felt I go to know them a bit. I'm way more interested in that than watching three buffoons arguing over who spilt the coffee while crammed into a small tent when it's pouring rain outside. If it were three "Orange County Housewives" in that tent my wife would pay to watch it. crazy

If you showed me that you were all smart enough to be prepared for whatever might come and how well you made out as a result, I'd be impressed. I'm not talking "Bear Grylls" type survival, I'm talking being prepared to make the best of it and making that work.

I'll wrap up by cautioning you to not put yourself in dangerously precarious situations just for entertainment value. Don't do that. Don't ever succumb to the urge to do that.

Keep us up to date!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: The real experience - 09/10/15 08:02 PM

Sorry, not interested. I do hope you enjoy your trip, and bring a lot of lifelong memories home with you. But as far as anything beyond best wishes, I'm not interested. Like the others said, this site (and my interests) are about US backpacking, not "adventure" travel.

And as far as a program, my own opinion is that reality entertainment is neither.
Posted by: tramp

Re: The real experience - 09/16/15 02:08 PM

I find it entertaining that a walk in the forest has become extreme behavior. The looks I get when I talk of backpacking with associates (I'm 56) is one of pity or abject fear of being that far from a TV or refrigerator.

To the OP good luck and have fun.