Farley Mowat RIP

Posted by: OregonMouse

Farley Mowat RIP - 05/14/14 05:20 PM

Noted Canadian author and conservationist Farley Mowat, of Never Cry Wolf fame, passed away last week. I just found out about it--it didn't make the news around here.
NY Times obituary

Not mentioned in the obituary is the book that got all my kids reading fluently (in grades 2-3), Owls in the Family, It's about his boyhood adventures in Saskatchewan with two great horned owls and is really funny! Great read for adults, too!
Posted by: aimless

Re: Farley Mowat RIP - 05/14/14 08:13 PM

I've read many a Mowat book, fiction and non-fiction. Another humorous book about his childhood is The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, while a much grimmer book about his service in WWII in Italy is And No Birds Sang. His many books on the Arctic, native peoples, and other subjects are all worth a look, too. R.I.P. He was one of the good ones.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Farley Mowat RIP - 05/17/14 09:45 AM

Sure fueled my interest in the outdoors and nature when I was a teen. Time to go back and re-read and finish his book list.
Absolutely one of the good ones. His heaven will be filled with wilderness and laughter.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Farley Mowat RIP - 05/26/14 12:23 AM

OM:
Sad to hear of Farley Mowat passing. My favorite book, besides, of course, "Never Cry Wolf," was "A Boat that Wouldn't Float." One of the funniest sailing stories ever written. I've always read that he did kind of stretch the truth in his non-fiction books, but haven't we all done that when we recount a story.