Bridger Teton or Gallatin

Posted by: Ckurz

Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/25/14 01:11 PM

Hey guys I know I haven't posted in awhile, and I have an internal conflict. I want to be a wildlife biologist and I have two internships that have been offered to me. The first being in the Bridger Teton National Forest, Jackson District. The second being in Gallatin National forest, Hegben Lake District. Both include habitat restoration and goshawk surveying. Both include housing, and only bridger teton has a stipend. This has been killing me. Do I choose jackson, wy. Or do I choose a west yellowstone, mt. I may have alittle time for hiking but that's not an issue both places would be amazing. Any input would be appreciated guys.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/25/14 01:29 PM

If you want the greater solitude, I'd say choose gallatin. If you are more the gregarious type who enjoys rubbing shoulders with others, choose the tetons.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/25/14 01:47 PM

I don't know anything about either place, but I do get interns from time to time. Besides learning, an internship is also a good time to network. If one has you meeting and working with more people, this may help you further down the road.

According to you the Tetons offers a stipend, according to Aimless the Tetons might offer more opportunity to network. Unless there are other considerations, the Tetons sound like a better option. That doesn't make the other a bad option, just one a little bit better.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/25/14 01:50 PM

Since both are in national forests, not national parks, and therefore away from the crowds, and the HQ areas are equally populated, I'd choose the one with the stipend!
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/25/14 02:05 PM

Lucky you! There is no bad choice. Not sure if it matters but Jackson Hole has an awesome public library. I think living expenses would be less in the Gallatin. Housing is really tight in Jackson.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/26/14 12:14 AM

Quote:
I think living expenses would be less in the Gallatin. Housing is really tight in Jackson.

Probably why Jackson offers the stipend!

Re: Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/26/14 04:06 PM

I mean of course I want to do both, I don't want to much crowding but I really love the town of Jackson. West yellowstone is nice but in jackson you are literally shadowed by the Tetons. And the one thing the gallatin person told me was I would do a lot of backcountry work on my own, I'm not opposed to that at all, but at the same time I think an interaction with other biologists and wildlife biologists would be beneficial to my learning experience. I haven't been offered the bridger teton opportunity yet but my ex boss who was referencing me called me and told me he just got me an internship, so I'm assuming he will offer me the position, I'm hoping to be accepted by Wednesday. Getting my hopes up is ok because I have an equally as good fall back option. Even if not I still have gallatin, the stipend isn't a deal breaker.

Re: Bridger Teton or Gallatin - 01/28/14 08:02 AM

I've decided to go with the Bridger Teton National Forest in Jackson Hole Wyoming