Brrrr!

Posted by: Rick_D

Brrrr! - 12/09/13 05:36 PM

Our little corner of California dropped to 22 last night (well below the record). This is at sea level; South Lake Tahoe was minus 17(!?!). Weather like this ensures all the area plumbers will be able to make their next couple of boat payments. Still dry as a hunk of jerky, though--cold isn't really the weather we need.

And your neighborhood?
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Brrrr! - 12/09/13 06:25 PM

It was 6* this morning in eastern CA, the radio said Tahoe was -20! That reminds me of Gunnison CO temps.
Posted by: jimmyb

Re: Brrrr! - 12/09/13 07:25 PM

We are having typical New England weather. Temps are around freezing with a run of days in the 20's this week. Night time lows reaching into the single digits. Thankfully we have avoided the wintery mess hitting almost everywhere else. We had a dusting of snow and a layering of ice last few days. Tomorrow may bring 1-3 in. of snow.

Precip is OK as long as I don't have to shovel it!

jimmyb
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Brrrr! - 12/09/13 08:52 PM

Good idea to keep a couple of water taps dripping--that's what I've been doing! The extra water bill is cheaper than plumbers!

Freezing rain is expected here just east of Portland tonight. It might last into Thursday depending on whose weather forecast you consult. Every forecast is different, reflecting the very uncertain conditions out there. The NWS is hedging all bets with "wintery mix" forecast tonight until midday Thursday. Looking at all the other forecasts, I think they're smart to do that. It only takes a tiny amount of freezing rain to turn roads into skating rinks. If it happens, expect Portland to shut down for several days! Nobody here knows how to drive in the stuff, so things become utter chaos out there.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Brrrr! - 12/09/13 09:12 PM

I've seen enough ice storms here in the Portland, OR area over the decades that I don't mess with them. We have groceries enough for a week, a ton of firewood in case the electricity goes out, and an ever-hopeful attitude, because in this situation it can be snowing ten miles away, icing up a mile from here, and plain old rain in our front yard.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Brrrr! - 12/10/13 09:32 AM

Twenties at night, thirties in the day with ice here just south of Dallas. I love the cold weather but it's AGAIN taken a big toll on the tree in my nature preserve. I went for a hike after a night of sleet and freezing rain and spent much of the hike crawling under trees that had bent into the trail. Sharpening the chainsaw blade. I do like hiking in cold though.
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Brrrr! - 12/10/13 01:45 PM

Been kinda weird here. 19F this morning, freezing drizzle on and off the last couple of weeks too. Nothing terrible, but we did have a horrific wind storm a couple of weeks ago. We lost power for a couple of days during that and yesterday because of wet snow taking down trees. We don't have a wood stove at the current place because we don't have fire service, so we have a generator.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Brrrr! - 12/10/13 06:22 PM

We were pretty balmy here today compared to the past few. Hi around 38º and sunny. Not warm enough to melt much snow off though, but enough to wet the roads in the day so they can ice at night.

Schools are still closed and probably will be the rest of the week. We've got freezing rain/snow/rain in the forecast for Friday again.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Brrrr! - 12/10/13 10:07 PM

I work away from home all week, just hope things are not froze up on Friday. I put a light on a timer for my water heater pipes and have a thermostat in the insulated pump house that activates a light, which if that burns out, has a light sensor that turns another light on. At least this year I have turned the furnace on during the week, unlike last year to return home to have mice ice skating in the toilet. smile The creek running thru my property has started to get some ice, a sign temps are into the single digits at least. Single digits and lower over the weekend warming up some for this coming weekend, in time for another snow camping trip. Only in the mid 20's two weeks ago when I was out.
Duane
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Brrrr! - 12/10/13 10:33 PM

Oh man our creek has flooded because of ice every day for the last 5 days. I could have ice skated this morning in the ice pond that formed because of ice damming.