Backpacking Research

Posted by: lucy

Backpacking Research - 03/09/23 06:18 AM

Hellooo I'm doing a bit of research and need to know what backpackers typically look for when backpacking lol. I'm thinking about backpacking around the Netherlands but a lot of the cities are small and not sure what I would do there. There is good areas for hiking and biking etc but what else but what else would you guys typically look for when considering travelling to a new area? And what would yous look to do when there?
Also how much time would you spend in one place before moving on, and budget etc, accommodation, any info you can help me with would be appreciated!!

Posted by: Arizona

Re: Backpacking Research - 03/09/23 07:44 AM

What we refer to as backpacking is when we carry rucksacks into wilderness with no amenities at all. We carry everything we will need. Nobody has wheels on their backpacks and in the wilderness wheels of any kind are not allowed by law. In the American west you will find far fewer people than anywhere in the Nederlands or Europe. The areas we pack into here can be quite remote, no hostels or food markets anywhere in sight. Many times we don’t even see other people. The only things one will see are natural, nothing man made.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backpacking Research - 03/09/23 10:56 PM

As Arizona points out, there is a semantic problem here. In North America, especially the USA, we use the term "backpacking" to describe wilderness trekking, not budget travel as the term is often used in Europe. Before posting on an unfamiliar forum, it's generally a good idea to spend some time looking over prior posts to see what's going on.

Should you develop an interest in wilderness trekking, we will gladly welcome you back!

I would refer you to the Lonely Planet forum for all things budget travel, but they shut down at the beginning of the covid pandemic and appear not to have reopened. That's unfortunate, because it was an outstanding budget travel resource.