Layers and warmth

Posted by: Farmerbill

Layers and warmth - 10/08/22 09:49 PM

Cold is a new experience when old!

I'm confused by the layer concepts, at least from the waist down. I have top and bottom base layer and will pick a middle layer for the top, but what kind of middle layer for the bottom?

Ill also refine my ideas of the shell or outer layers, and will find the warmest breathable cap, but my legs get cold!

Recommendations? TIA kindly,
Farmerbill
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Layers and warmth - 10/09/22 05:07 PM

If it becomes cold enough I’ll put on Polartec Power Stretch as a mid layer. Got them in both tops and bottoms. When sitting around a cold camp the Montbell ultralight down pants make a very warm mid layer. I’ve had all of those for so many years that I’m not sure if they are made in those iterations currently. There are so many choices in various weights. Depends on how cold the ambient temp is, the humidity and wind and whether I’m active or not. The silk weight pieces usually suffice around here on a colder day.
Posted by: DustinV

Re: Layers and warmth - 10/10/22 01:42 PM

If I'm moving, I generally just layer shell pants over my hiking pants. Softshell pants over base layers allows better stretch and breathability if you don't think you'll don/doff them a lot.

I recently grabbed some cheap down pants from Amazon for in camp and/or sleeping to test the concept. They're good for when you're relatively stationary. I wouldn't hike in them because they trap your heat very well, but don't breathe very well.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Layers and warmth - 10/10/22 02:36 PM

Excellent article on layering here

Note that it's just as important to avoid perspiration as it is to avoid being cold.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Layers and warmth - 11/09/22 10:46 PM

Hi Mouse long time... anyway now that I am a snowmobiler, I pull on cotton wool blend long underwear, old seam sealed REI down bibs, a big marmot coat, Sorel boots and a helmet with a heated visor. But if I was crosscountry skiing I'd be in the long underwear, goretex pants, a light fleece shell and have a lightweight airtight jacket just in case. Because I live in the mountains in Central Oregon, I now live the winter life and its very different than if I were coming to visit.

If I were going ski camping I would replace the cheap long underwear with patagonia and my favorite zip goretex pants from LL Bean...
Jim

Re: Layers and warmth - 11/10/22 10:28 PM

Hi, Jim, glad to see you back!

If I were sitting still on a snowmobile, I'd wear what you are wearing. When I lived in Vermont (1960s), I wore every warm item I owned for iceboating on Lake Champlain (IMHO, the ultimate winter sport, but another one involving sitting still in cold wind). Back in my active days, I wore thin breathable layers so I wouldn't sweat while hiking or skiing but took plenty of warm layers in my pack so I could pile them on for warmth when I stopped for rest, lunch, etc.

Nowadays my "hiking" is limited to around the block with a walker, so the extra layers get to stay home. Plus the walker, not having skis or chains, is impossible to manage in snow. I also have to avoid falls at all costs, so when it snows I stay inside and enjoy it through the window. Old age catches up eventually!

Re: Layers and warmth - 12/15/22 08:15 PM

Another excellent article on layering:
The Science of Clothing Layers for Winter Hiking