A Blog

Posted by: Pika

A Blog - 03/08/19 10:57 AM

I have decided to try writing a blog focused on the issues and experiences of us more weathered, aging backpackers. I am aiming for something a bit on the eclectic side and plan to comment on gear, fitness, neat hikes I’ve done, public land policy, the environment and other stuff I have yet to think about. This will be my first try at an online presence, besides posting here. I am computer illiterate enough that just getting the blog site set up lnearly drove me to drink. Anyway it is now off to a shaky start and I hope to improve as time goes by. If you are interested you can visit with me at theoldbackpacker.com
Posted by: Lonerock

Re: A Blog - 03/08/19 03:07 PM

Nice blog. I look forward to reading more.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: A Blog - 03/08/19 04:13 PM

Same here. But where’s the entry about chasing those crummy kids off our trails - um, I mean lawns? smile

Re: A Blog - 03/08/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Same here. But where’s the entry about chasing those crummy kids off our trails - um, I mean lawns? smile

Soon!
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: A Blog - 03/09/19 06:54 AM

Looks good.
From one grumpy old man to another.I will follow.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: A Blog - 03/09/19 10:12 AM

Keep going, Mike!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: A Blog - 06/30/19 09:33 PM

I just read Pika's most recent entry in his TheOldBackpacker blog:
Desert Morning

What a beautiful piece of writing! Thank you, Pika!

Re: A Blog - 07/01/19 03:36 PM

Thank you! 😀
Posted by: grit

Re: A Blog - 07/03/19 07:30 PM

OM:

Since you read that portion of his blog, I’m assuming you also read Pika’s “You Can’t Go Home Again” segment. A truly heartwarming and revealing piece. As I approach my 70th year, I’m experiencing similar memories and the emotions that accompany them. I feel truly blessed to have experienced those past adventures. While I may not have the photos to help with the recall of campsites, vistas and backpacking partners, I do have those special memories that will never fade away. And those I will always treasure.
Thank you, Chuck (Pika).

Re: A Blog - 07/03/19 10:16 PM

Oh, yes, and I agree! I'm the same age as Pika and it appears that my backpacking days are over, although I'm going to try a few places in the Cascades where I can hike a mile in (which will take a couple of hours) and camp in relative peace and quiet.

10 years ago I hiked some trails I'd done (on horseback) as a youngster of 9 and later as a teenager. Things were a lot different, but I did enjoy the trips. It sure wasn't the same, though!
Posted by: grit

Re: A Blog - 07/03/19 11:03 PM

Wow. I would absolutely treasure an overnighter with both you and Pika! I would learn so much from your knowledge and experience. In the meantime, let’s all enjoy and savor every moment we have in the wilderness for our memories are priceless.

Re: A Blog - 01/07/20 08:21 PM

Those who have interacted with Pika on this site for years and consider him a trusted friend may want to read his latest blog entry
if you haven't already (I've been out of town for a while and am just catching up). Another sad and inevitable happening as we get farther "over the hill." Sorrow

I've sent my condolences, and I hope you will, too, if you haven't already.

Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: A Blog - 01/07/20 09:25 PM

Thanks, Mouse, for noticing this and letting us know. I hadn’t visited the blog for several weeks.
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: A Blog - 01/08/20 05:14 AM

Yes, thanks for letting us know. Very sad.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: A Blog - 01/08/20 10:27 AM

My sincerest condolences go out to Pika.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: A Blog - 01/09/20 06:04 AM

My condolences to Pika.