honoring passed friends and sportsmen

Posted by: Jimshaw

honoring passed friends and sportsmen - 01/25/19 08:58 PM

This year the motorcycle world lost a few icons (and many others) in brutal accidents. People whose faces are so familiar as to almost be family whose loss leaves the race tracks sort of empty of their personality. Similarly there was recently a gathering to honor those lost climbing. I had a very close friend die of a heart attack while ice climbing an easy mountain in Oregon. He had soloed Acancogwa? and many unnamed peaks in the Andes. Ive had homeless friends who live in the woods around Bend just vanish without a trace. God bless them and keep them all. Anyway as we get older more friends vanish and I'm afraid to tray to contact people now for fear they are no longer around. Jim
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: honoring passed friends and sportsmen - 01/25/19 09:03 PM

Every time I check the news, someone younger than me has died. I guess that's what happens when we reach a certain age!
Posted by: Lonerock

Re: honoring passed friends and sportsmen - 01/26/19 02:33 PM

I had a friend I used to backpack with in the 1990s. I moved away later and lost track of him. In 2011 I decided to contact him and see how he was doing. He was no longer living at his previous address so I did a google search and found a notice of his death two years earlier. Now I'm hesitant to look up old friends and instead choose to remember them and the good times we had together. That way they'll live forever.