Tour du Mont Blanc

Posted by: trekkerman

Tour du Mont Blanc - 11/13/14 04:03 PM

I'm 72 and completed the Tour du Mont Blanc in September. Most arduous thing I have done. 110 miles, hut to hut. Nearly every day began with a 3,000 ft ascent and finished with a 3,000 ft decent. I was slow. But proud to say I did it.
Trekkerman
Posted by: Hillbilly

Re: Tour du Mont Blanc - 11/18/14 11:23 AM

Trekkerman,
I'm not familiar with the trek, but 110 miles with those As and Ds, are something to be proud of at any age.
Congrats.
Posted by: trekkerman

Re: Tour du Mont Blanc - 11/18/14 07:58 PM

Thanks for that. Since the age of 62 I have done many "Great World Treks" They include Annapurna Circuit (Nepal), Paine Circuit (Patagonia), Routeburn (NZ),West Coast Trail (Vanc. Is), West Highland Way (Scotland)Wind River Range (Wy.)
It's not about the legs and lungs. It's what's in your head and heart that counts.
Trekkerman
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Tour du Mont Blanc - 11/18/14 10:53 PM

You are so lucky! All those treks are on my wish list.
You are right that it is not all about being super fit. One foot in front of the other and the right mind-set gets you a lot of places.
Posted by: geezer7

Re: Tour du Mont Blanc - 03/17/15 09:46 AM

Congratulations on completing a marvelous trek. My wife and I celebrated our 65th birthdays in 2009 by completing the same trek. We enjoyed it so much that we did it again in 2012.
Here is a link to a trip report we wrote.

http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/MontBlanc2012

We are hoping to try the GR5 this September. It is really long so we are aiming for half of the total trek.