Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol

Posted by: 300winmag

Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 09/23/08 10:58 PM

No joke! Las Vegas has a very small but nice ski area near Mt. Charleston. It's base is at 9,000 ft. and rises to over 10,000 ft.

I'm taking the NSP Outdoor Emergency Care course - again. I was a Nordic NSP Ski Patroller/EMT in Pennsylvenia for 10 years. Also made it into the '80 Olympic Nordic Patrol. Great fun.

But this is my 1st time as an alpine patroller. Ought to help improve my ski skills a lot this year. BTW, at 65 I'm NOt the oldest patroller on the mountain.

Eric
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 09/24/08 04:30 AM

That's great, Eric! I have friends who ski there every season. Contrats!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 09/27/08 06:52 AM

Great! Our local, now closed but trying to get it open again hill, had a retired FS employee as our ski hill manager for years. At 70 something, he still skiied. Very healthy, athletic guy. My chiropractor said he was very impressed with his condition. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago. The way I want to go, active up to when my number comes up.

I really improved my skiing by working at the hill for four years. Still not that coordinated, but, I can go down about anything and have a good time, biting it.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 04/14/09 04:13 PM

Ski season ended April 12th. I had a great time patrolling and working on injured skiers. Felt like old times again afte being out of patrolling for 10 years.

NOW ON TO BACKPACKING!!

Eric
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 04/14/09 08:34 PM

slug guy

We have another month of skiing here in Bend. Its been snowing most of the day and we have gotten 500 inches at Mt BAchelor this season - SO FAR!
Jim
Posted by: skinewmexico

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 04/16/09 06:10 PM

I could never be on patrol, it's too much like a real job. And you have to be around all those whiny people in pain.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 04/16/09 08:21 PM

Six of my fellow rescue divers on our dive rescue team are ski patrollers in Nor Cal. One of them is the ski patrol director. They are Fire Captains, Sheriff's Captain, and one sold his 3 marinas and is retired financially independent. All of them are 50+, a couple nudging 60. None of them need the money but they do it every year and I assume they will continue as long as they are physically able. Good for me because each year when I visit them, I have a place to stay and my own private ski instructors. I can definitely see the attraction.

Congratulations on your gig.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 04/16/09 11:21 PM

Would those be whiney Texans you'd be speaking of ??? hehe grin
Posted by: scottyb

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 04/17/09 10:43 AM

I think it can be safely assumed that whiners come from every state.
Posted by: phat

Re: Joined Las Vegas Ski Patrol - 04/17/09 11:30 AM

Nope, I see plenty of 'em that come from outside the states.. You have no monopoly on whiny people..