Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland

Posted by: Tom7654

Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland - 05/21/20 06:26 PM

I highly recommend "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips" by Mike Clelland. It is both entertaining and educational. It is probably best for people who have some backpacking experience, but want to reduce pack weight. At first I was a bit put off by the illustrations / cartoons, but they really contribute to the light-hearted style.

It is a quick read, but it manages to combine the "big picture" with lots of specific suggestions. I love his attitude that ultralight does not have to be expensive, like a DIY alcohol stove or razor blade knife. It really opened my eyes to what I *don't* need to take with me, like extra clothes or a "footprint" for under my tent. It also encouraged me to modify my gear - I cut off excess pockets, zippers, and straps from my backpack which reduced its weight by over 30%.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland - 05/21/20 11:02 PM

Many of those same tips and general DIY attitude you just mentioned were popularized by Ray Jardine in the early-to-mid 1990s.I learned much from his books of that era. But if you go look him up and read his books, don't believe what he says about corn pasta, OK? laugh

The godfather of US backpacking advice back in the late 1960s, Colin Fletcher, in his seminal book The Complete Walker, notoriously confessed he tore the paper tags off his tea bags as a way to emphasize the correct attitude toward packing unnecessary weight. He knew people would laugh, but he thought the lesson he was teaching was more important. awesome

This site is also a good place to learn such ideas. Most of the members here have decades of experience in all kinds of terrains and climates. In the USA and beyond.
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland - 05/23/20 03:25 AM

I always wondered about the corn pasta smile

Jardine's an interesting character, alternately clever and goofy.
If you haven't seen it, here's an interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmtntvkElhQ
Posted by: cgreene

Re: Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland - 08/07/20 08:49 AM

Thanks for sharing! Ive been reading a few books about backpacking lately. Im definitely going to add this book to my list.