"THE Bicycle Diaries" (emphasis added)

Posted by: kevonionia

"THE Bicycle Diaries" (emphasis added) - 07/13/14 01:47 AM

Just finished reading David Krooshtma's account (published in 2014) of his epic bicycle ride from Palo Alto to BELOW Tierra del Fuego. A great adventure read, that between his ride's entries, makes a great statement on climate change, the 'purpose' of his ride.

(Interestingly, he recounts a Belgian cyclist riding alongside him in Peru or Bolivia and commenting -- paraphrasing -- "You Americans always ride with a 'cause', why can't you just RIDE?" You can't help but like someone who would include that in their book.)

I love reading any book about a trek, be it the PCT, the CDT, a solo sail around the world. I've only read a few I didn't like, I guess, because I can close my eyes and live the adventure with them. Got this as a short-term offer as a free book on Kindle. But well worth the price.

"The Bicycle Diaries," an obvious take on Che's "The Motorcycle Diaries."

(And By-The-Way, Henry Shire's Tarptent provided him with his tents -- in this case a Rainbow -- for his 21K-mile trip. And he loved them, I love them, we're all happy.) The pix in this book are outstanding.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: "THE Bicycle Diaries" (emphasis added) - 07/13/14 05:34 AM

Thanks for the book recommendation. A week or two ago, I met a guy in Pueblo, Co who is riding around the world. He started in Dead Horse, Alaska. Now he is in Texas. [url=Here]http://www.selfpoweredtravel.com/[/url] is his blog.

Years ago I read a comment by an Englishman about American bicyclists. He said that by the time Americans put on their riding gear, the English are done with the ride.

Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: "THE Bicycle Diaries" (emphasis added) - 07/14/14 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By Gershon
Years ago I read a comment by an Englishman about American bicyclists. He said that by the time Americans put on their riding gear, the English are done with the ride.

I've often thought people insisting on all this specialized gear was kinda silly. But, I've never been a distance rider either. The closest I've come is 8 miles one way, to and from school, and that was going on 20 years ago. I guess if you're really putting on the miles it'd help with chafing and moister management and all that, but at that point you're turning it from a fun casual pastime into a rich man's game. $$$
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: "THE Bicycle Diaries" (emphasis added) - 07/14/14 12:33 PM

The problem with the biking is that I do not think that I could wear the purple tights and the yellow shoes. I think it was Thoreau who said beware of any endeavor requiring new clothes. LOL
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: "THE Bicycle Diaries" (emphasis added) - 07/15/14 12:41 AM

GG: Wouldn't it have been fun to ride alongside Thoreau -- he'd have had on a pair of overalls and ridden an old Schwinn.

(BTW, the reason for the emphasis on THE is that there are 3 books out with (slight) variations of the title. The most popular one is about a guy riding his bike in NYC, which is an accomplishment, as I'd think it would be.