Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle

Posted by: ncmtns

Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 12/06/11 03:03 PM

Just wondering..
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 12/06/11 05:46 PM

The Book of Camping and Woodcraft. And the first edition of the Boy Scout Handbook. They are on Guttenberg.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/12/12 03:53 PM

Back in late 2004 I wrote a fairly light-hearted hiking book. I just decided last week I would make it available in PDF format, for free. I don't have a Kindle, so I haven't tested it's readability on that device, yet. It was originally formatted as 6x8 inches, so it ought to feel more or less at home on a Kindle-sized screen.

This link should allow you to d/l it:

http://www.4shared.com/office/l9nfi4pY/Escape_On_Foot.html
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/12/12 05:39 PM

aimless, that looks interesting! I'll download it and read it later.

The home page of this site has excellent articles, listed in the left hand column.

"Lightweight Backpacking 101" is available for free on the BPL site. It was compiled in 2001, so some of the specific gear items mentioned are a bit out of date. The general principles, though, are valid.

Not being a computer geek, I don't know if these are downloadable for kindle or if you have to read them on your computer.

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/12/12 09:31 PM

Not exactly backpacking, but Clarence King's book on his adventures in the Sierra Nevada in the 1840 and 50's is fabulous.

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/12/12 10:36 PM

See my post (December 2011) on the 100 greatest adventure books of all time. I'll bet many of them are on gutenberg.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/12/12 11:16 PM

OM--Clarence King certainly was. Thanks, OM!

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/13/12 02:31 AM

King's Peak in Utah was named for Clarence King. I don't know if he was there or if the peak was named because he was head of the US Geological Survey. A lot of mountains get named for people who were never there, but at least Mr. King was a lot closer to King's Peak than Mr. Hood (of the British Admiralty) ever was to Mt. Hood!
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/13/12 06:29 AM

I just downloaded it to my Kindle and it looks like it is fine. I have not read it yet but it looks like it is readable.

Originally Posted By aimless
Back in late 2004 I wrote a fairly light-hearted hiking book. I just decided last week I would make it available in PDF format, for free. I don't have a Kindle, so I haven't tested it's readability on that device, yet. It was originally formatted as 6x8 inches, so it ought to feel more or less at home on a Kindle-sized screen.

This link should allow you to d/l it:

http://www.4shared.com/office/l9nfi4pY/Escape_On_Foot.html
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/13/12 09:17 AM

the kindle store on Amazon has some of the Horace Kephart books for free

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/13/12 01:15 PM

Those are fun!
Posted by: aimless

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 01/18/12 01:17 PM

One of our intrepid forum members has downloaded my book (link above) and informs me that it reads fairly well on a Kindle -- although he recommends landscape mode for the best results. Thanks, GG. thanks
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Any freebee backpacking books out there for Kindle - 04/21/12 11:00 AM

Skywalker's book about the Camino de Santiago is free for kindle today:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007DMLIEA?tag=kiq-free-e-20