pocket guide to edible plants

Posted by: Grizz

pocket guide to edible plants - 10/16/11 02:36 PM

Hi, 1st post to this forum. Im looking for a small pocket book/guide to edible plants for the pacific northwest. something thats small and lightweight, any suggestions? Thanks for any help. Kevin
Posted by: aimless

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/17/11 12:38 PM

I'm a PNW'er and can't recall seeing any such guidebook as you are seeking. I believe our corner of the USA is somewhat impoverished when it comes to native edible species -- although we can boast quite a diversity edible berries and... FUNGUS! I hope you find what you're looking for. I'd be curious to see such a guidebook, too.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/18/11 12:47 PM

Check with your local conservation agency, they might know of one. The Missouri Dept of Conservation produces a great guide to edible mushrooms.

You can find it here.

Here's another on link to their site for Wild Edibles.

These may not be specific to your area, but at least some of these will be found in many other areas including the Pacific NW.
Posted by: Grizz

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/19/11 03:14 PM

Thank you both for the responses, If I can find out anything I will post it. Thanks again.
Posted by: Paulo

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/19/11 04:47 PM

Hi, sometimes you come across laminated 1 page sheets with wild edibles. I couldn't find something small enough so I borrowed some info from This site which I put into a coil bound book. It's about 1 cm thick and 8.5 x 5.5. Not pocket sized, but it fits in the top of my backpack.

I would love to hear if you come across something better! Or maybe we should put one together!
Posted by: Ewker

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/19/11 05:06 PM

In Nashville there is a meetup group called Eatable Weed Walks and Plant Classes.

You might check and see if a group like that exists in your area.

Seems you can find any type of group on meetup
Posted by: BZH

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/19/11 05:55 PM

good link... it lists 6 books as reference:

http://www.northernbushcraft.com/references.htm

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/19/11 08:11 PM

Yup, I put those references on the front of my book so I could recommend them to others.

I have found a couple pocket reference wild edibles/medicinals books, but none were specific for the Pacific North West.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/20/11 03:50 PM

Google is your friend. A search on "edible plants pacific northwest" turned up lots and lots of entries!

Re: pocket guide to edible plants - 10/20/11 04:46 PM

Thanks! I think he was looking for a pocket sized version, otherwise there are quite a few as you say.